World

Israel announces plan to reopen Gaza’s Rafah crossing on Sunday

The gate is a key entry point for desperately needed humanitarian supplies for Gaza’s two million or so displaced people lacking food, shelter and medicines

Updated 6 months ago · Published on 31 Jan 2026 8:13AM

Israel announces plan to reopen Gaza’s Rafah crossing on Sunday
The vital link for humanitarian supplies has been shut for two years (Photo from Arab News) - January 31, 2026

ISRAEL plans to reopen the Rafah border crossing on Sunday, after nearly two years of closure.

However, the crossing that links Gaza with Egypt will only be opened to allow a “limited movement of people,” the Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories (COGAT), an Israeli defence ministry body overseeing civil affairs in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement on Friday.

The opening of the crossing – a key entry point for desperately needed humanitarian supplies for Gaza’s two million or so displaced people lacking food, shelter and medicines – is stipulated under the second phase of the United States-brokered ceasefire deal designed to bring a halt to the devastating war between Hamas and Israel, although no timeframe is set.

Al Jazeera reported on Friday that the core part of the first phase of the plan was completed after the return of the remains of the last Israeli captive in Gaza earlier this week.

Hamas then released a statement calling for Israel to complete the implementation of all the provisions of the ceasefire agreement, “especially the opening of the Rafah Crossing in both directions without restrictions”.

Israel, however, intends to keep tight control of the crossing.

“Exit from and entry into the Gaza Strip via the Rafah Crossing will be permitted in coordination with Egypt, following prior security clearance of individuals by Israel, and under the supervision of the European Union mission, similar to the mechanism implemented in January 2025,” COGAT said.

The statement added that the return of residents from Egypt to Gaza will be permitted, “in coordination with Egypt, for residents who left Gaza during the course of the war only, and only after prior security clearance by Israel”.

It said an additional screening and identification process will also be conducted at a designated corridor under Israeli army control.

The crossing lies in territory still held by Israeli forces after they pulled back behind the so-called “yellow line” under the terms of the ceasefire.

Israeli troops still control more than half of Gaza, and their military operations and strikes continue to kill people across the enclave, despite the supposed halt to fighting.

Earlier on Friday, Hamas had once more called on Israel to immediately reopen the crossing, calling for the “immediate transition to the second phase” of the truce, which also includes the entry of a recently appointed technocratic Palestinian committee to administer the territory.

The Rafah crossing is a vital entry point for desperately needed humanitarian supplies [File: EPA]

The closure of the gateway continues to limit humanitarian supplies for a population now struggling through winter storms.

The United Nations and other international organisations have also repeatedly called for the reopening, given the dire humanitarian situation in the territory.

Israel had said on Monday that it would reopen Rafah when it received the remains of the last captive, which happened on the same day. Police officer Ran Gvili was laid to rest on Wednesday.

Earlier in January, the US had announced that the ceasefire had progressed to its second phase, intended to bring a definitive end to the war. However, Hamas and Israel accuse one another of truce violations on a near-daily basis.

Hamas on Friday repeated its call for the ceasefire’s guarantors – Egypt, the US, Qatar and Turkey – to exert “serious pressure” on Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to prevent him from obstructing the fragile deal.

Israeli strikes and operations, which its military says target “terrorists,” have killed more than 490 people since the ceasefire came into force, according to the Palestinian Ministry of Health in Gaza.

More than 71,600 people have been killed in the enclave since October 7, 2023, when Israel’s war in Gaza was launched following Hamas’s attack on Israel. - January 31, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran