World

United States completes return ofUS$500 million in Venezuelan oil sale proceeds amid deepening energy engagement

Washington has transferred the full US$500 million from the first sale of Venezuelan crude under a new energy agreement following the capture of President Nicolás Maduro

Updated 6 months ago · Published on 04 Feb 2026 10:11AM

United States completes return ofUS$500 million in Venezuelan oil sale proceeds amid deepening energy engagement
The move underscores evolving economic ties and signalling continued U.S. involvement in Venezuela’s oil sector (File pic)- February 4, 2026

THE United States has now returned the entire US$500 million from the initial sale of Venezuelan oil to the government in Caracas, confirming the final tranche of proceeds was transferred as part of an emerging energy arrangement between the two nations.

Reuters reported on Wednesday that the last US$200 million was sent on Tuesday, completing the return of funds from the first US$500 million generated by the oil transaction, a US official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

“Venezuela has officially received all US$500 million from the first Venezuelan oil sale,” the official said, adding that the funds are to be “disbursed for the benefit of the Venezuelan people at the discretion of the US government.”

The deal — agreed after a controversial US military operation on January 3 that resulted in the capture of Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro — effectively saw American authorities manage and sell Venezuelan crude on global markets, with proceeds initially held in accounts abroad before their return.

Last week, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio described Washington’s involvement in the oil sale as a temporary measure aimed at stabilising Venezuela’s economy, keeping essential government functions operating and providing revenue to public servants.

“So, in essence, we allowed Venezuela to use their own oil to generate revenue to pay teachers and firefighters and police officers and keep the function of government operating so we didn’t have systemic collapse,” he said during testimony on Capitol Hill.

The funds had been held in Qatar in a temporary account designed to ensure that Venezuela received the revenue needed to function while broader economic and political transitions are underway, the US official said.

Looking ahead, the official explained that the long-term goal for future oil sales is to move proceeds into a fund located in the United States, with authorised expenditures for any obligations or expenses of the Venezuelan government or its agencies to be made in accordance with agreed procedures.

The return of the full US$500 million marks an important milestone in the complex and closely watched relationship between Washington and Caracas as the US continues to reshape its approach to Venezuelan oil assets and engage in broader energy market strategies. - February 4, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation