U.S. President Donald Trump faced swift criticism from both Democrats and members of his own party after a video posted on his social media account appeared to depict former President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama as apes.
Reuters reported the post, which amplified false claims of election fraud in 2020, was shared on Thursday evening via Trump’s Truth Social network and deleted approximately 12 hours later.
Trump told reporters he had not viewed the full video before it was posted by a White House aide. "I didn't see the whole thing," he said.
"I looked at the first part, and it was really about voter fraud in the machines, how crooked it is, how disgusting it is. Then I gave it to the people. Generally, they look at the whole thing. But I guess somebody didn't."
When asked if he condemned the clip, Trump replied, "Of course I do," yet he declined to apologise, asserting, "I didn't make a mistake. I mean, I give—I look at a lot—thousands of things."
The post’s brief clip, apparently AI-generated, superimposed the Obamas’ heads onto dancing primates, and was shared at the end of a video focused on baseless claims of electoral fraud.
The White House initially defended the post as a harmless “internet meme” depicting Trump as the King of the Jungle and Democrats as Lion King characters. As criticism mounted, a White House official later stated that the post had been made in error.
Republican Senator Tim Scott of South Carolina, a close Trump ally, described the post as “the most racist thing I've seen out of this White House” and called for its removal.
Other Republican lawmakers privately contacted the White House, urging an apology and corrective action. Mark Burns, a Black pastor and Trump supporter, called for the dismissal of the staff member responsible for the post.
Historically, depictions of people of African descent as monkeys or apes have been used by white supremacists to dehumanise Black communities.
Civil rights advocates condemned the video, with NAACP President Derrick Johnson calling it “blatantly racist, disgusting, and utterly despicable” and warning that voters would remember it at the ballot box.
Ben Rhodes, a former aide to Obama, said the post would “haunt Trump and his racist followers” while the Obamas would be embraced as “beloved figures.”
The incident also prompted scrutiny of White House social media practices.
Only a few senior aides have direct access to Trump’s accounts, and the president has frequently used Truth Social to share policy, commentary, and fan-generated content to his nearly 12 million followers.
Thursday’s post, which was deleted after the White House described it as erroneous, raises questions about controls over content capable of influencing public perception and international relations.
Trump has previously been criticised for racially charged rhetoric, including promoting the false claim that Obama was not born in the United States, and derogatory remarks about immigrants and political opponents.
The video controversy underscores the ongoing debate over the limits and accountability of presidential communications on social media platforms. - February 7, 2026