COLORADO funeral home owner Jon Hallford was sentenced on Friday to 40 years in state prison for hiding 189 decomposing bodies in a building over a four-year period and providing families with fake ashes, leaving relatives devastated and sparking widespread outrage.
AP reported on Saturday that during the sentencing hearing, grieving family members described recurring nightmares of maggots and decaying flesh after learning what had happened to their loved ones.
They called Hallford a “monster” and urged the judge, Eric Bentley, to impose the maximum sentence of 50 years.
Bentley told Hallford that his actions caused “unspeakable and incomprehensible” harm. “It is my personal belief that every one of us, every human being, is basically good at the core, but we live in a world that tests that belief every day, and Mr. Hallford your crimes are testing that belief,” the judge said.
Hallford apologised before sentencing, expressing remorse for his actions. “I had so many chances to put a stop to everything and walk away, but I did not,” he said. “My mistakes will echo for a generation. Everything I did was wrong.”
Prosecutors argued the crimes were motivated by greed.
The Hallfords charged more than US$1,200 per customer while spending lavishly on luxury vehicles, designer goods, cryptocurrency, and cosmetic procedures, money that could have covered the cremation costs of all the bodies many times over, according to prosecutor Shelby Crow.
Hallford’s former wife, Carie Hallford, who co-owned the funeral home, faces sentencing on April 24 and could receive 25 to 35 years in prison.
Both pleaded guilty in December to nearly 200 counts of corpse abuse.
They also admitted to federal fraud charges for misusing nearly US$900,000 in pandemic-era small business aid, with Jon Hallford sentenced to 20 years in that case.
The state prison sentence will run concurrently with his federal sentence.
Family members recounted the emotional toll of the Hallfords’ crimes.
Kelly Mackeen, whose mother’s remains were mishandled, said: “I’m a daughter whose mother was treated like yesterday’s trash and dumped in a site left to rot with hundreds of others. I’m heartbroken, and I ask God every day for grace.”
The bodies were stored at room temperature in a building in Penrose, south of Colorado Springs, from 2019 to 2023. Investigators discovered remains stacked on top of each other, covered in decomposition fluid and crawling with insects.
Families were reportedly given dry concrete in place of ashes, leaving many to struggle with guilt and disrupted grieving processes.
Among the recovered bodies was a former Army sergeant first class, whose wooden casket had been interred at a veterans’ cemetery.
Upon exhumation, investigators found the remains belonged to someone of a different gender. The veteran was later reburied with full military honours.
The case exposed Colorado’s lax funeral home regulations, prompting authorities to implement stricter oversight to prevent such abuses.
Public records revealed the Hallfords also missed tax payments, were evicted from property, and faced lawsuits for unpaid bills.
In a rare move, Judge Bentley rejected earlier plea deals that would have capped the Hallfords’ prison terms at 20 years, siding with families who argued that such sentences would be far too lenient.
The sentencing marks a significant moment in one of the most egregious funeral home scandals in recent U.S. history, highlighting both the human cost of greed and the need for regulatory reform. - February 7, 2026