World

Trump threatens to block opening of Canada-funded Gordie Howe Bridge amid trade dispute

Move raises tensions with Canada by demanding compensation and partial ownership of the project, despite its near completion and its strategic importance to cross-border trade

Updated 6 months ago · Published on 10 Feb 2026 9:06AM

Trump threatens to block opening of Canada-funded Gordie Howe Bridge amid trade dispute
U.S. President Donald Trump has threatened to prevent the opening of the Gordie Howe International Bridge linking Detroit and Windsor - February 10, 2026

U.S. President Donald Trump on Monday threatened to block the opening of the Gordie Howe International Bridge, a major cross-border infrastructure project connecting Detroit with Windsor, Ontario, in his latest confrontation with Canada over trade and economic policy.

Reuters cited on Tuesday that the bridge, which cost an estimated US$4.6 billion and was largely funded by the Canadian government, is nearing completion after construction began in 2018. Trump cited Canada’s ownership of the bridge, its refusal to stock certain US alcoholic beverages, tariffs on dairy products and its trade engagement with China as reasons for his stance.

“I will not allow this bridge to open until the United States is fully compensated for everything we have given them, and also, importantly, Canada treats the United States with the Fairness and Respect that we deserve,” Trump said in a social media post.

“We will start negotiations, IMMEDIATELY. With all that we have given them, we should own, perhaps, at least one half of this asset.”

The project originated in 2012, when then Michigan governor Rick Snyder accepted an offer from Canada to fund most of the bridge’s construction costs, using executive authority to bypass the state legislature.

The crossing is intended to relieve congestion at the privately owned Ambassador Bridge, which currently handles most commercial traffic between Detroit and Windsor.

Despite Trump’s remarks, the US Department of Homeland Security on Jan 30 formally designated the bridge as an official port of entry, a key procedural step ahead of its planned opening.

The Canadian Embassy in Washington, the office of Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer and the bridge authority did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Michigan Senator Elissa Slotkin, a Democrat, warned that blocking the project would have significant economic consequences. “Canceling this project will have serious repercussions. Higher costs for Michigan businesses, less secure supply chains, and ultimately, fewer jobs,” she said.

She added that Trump was “punishing Michiganders for a trade war he started,” arguing that strained US–Canada relations had pushed Ottawa closer to Beijing.

“The only reason Canada is on the verge of a trade deal with China is because President Trump has kicked them in the teeth for a year,” she said.

The Detroit–Windsor corridor is one of the most vital trade routes between the two countries. In 2023, Detroit ranked as the second-largest US freight port by value and the largest along the US–Canada border, with commercial trucks handling US$126 billion in trade.

According to a study by the University of Windsor, the Gordie Howe Bridge is expected to reduce crossing times by about 20 minutes and save truckers an estimated US$2.3 billion over 30 years.

Trump has repeatedly threatened Canada during his second term, including vows to impose steep tariffs. Last month, he said he would levy a 100 per cent tariff if Canada proceeded with a trade deal with China.

In January, Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney visited Beijing to repair strained ties and concluded a trade agreement with China, Canada’s second-largest trading partner after the United States.

Trump has also previously warned of decertifying Bombardier Global Express business jets and imposing a 50 per cent tariff on Canadian-made aircraft unless Ottawa certified aircraft produced by US rival Gulfstream, although no such measures have yet been implemented. - February 10, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus