THE United States is preparing to dispatch a second aircraft carrier and accompanying warships to the Middle East amid rising tensions with Iran, U.S. media outlets reported late on Thursday.
According to the New York Times, which first disclosed the plans citing U.S. officials, the aircraft carrier USS Gerald R. Ford and its escort ships will sail from the Caribbean to bolster American naval presence in the region.
The White House and the Pentagon had not responded to requests for comment outside of regular business hours.
Earlier this week President Donald Trump said he was contemplating sending an additional aircraft carrier to the Middle East if diplomatic negotiations with Iran do not yield a deal.
The USS Abraham Lincoln, along with several guided‑missile destroyers, arrived in the Middle East in January.
Addressing reporters on Thursday, Trump stressed the urgency of reaching an agreement with Tehran.
“We have to make a deal, otherwise it’s going to be very traumatic, very traumatic,” he said, suggesting that progress could be made over the coming month.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu expressed hope that the U.S. strategy would create conditions conducive to a diplomatic resolution that would avert military conflict with Iran. - February 13, 2026