World

U.S. prepares for prolonged military campaign against Iran as diplomacy hangs in balance

Pentagon plans for weeks-long operations if ordered by President Donald Trump, with Washington braced for retaliation and wider regional fallout

Updated 6 months ago · Published on 14 Feb 2026 8:58AM

U.S. prepares for prolonged military campaign against Iran as diplomacy hangs in balance
White House spokesperson Anna Kelly says: “President Trump has all options on the table with regard to Iran.” - February 14, 2026

THE United States military is preparing for the possibility of sustained, weeks-long operations against Iran should President Donald Trump give the order, according to two U.S. officials, signalling a potential escalation far beyond previous confrontations between the two countries.

The contingency planning, described to Reuters on condition of anonymity due to its sensitivity, underscores the growing stakes surrounding fragile diplomatic efforts aimed at curbing Tehran’s nuclear ambitions.

Reuters, on Saturday, cited, U.S. and Iranian diplomats met in Oman last week in an attempt to revive negotiations over Iran’s nuclear programme, even as Washington reinforced its military presence in the region, fuelling concerns that renewed hostilities could erupt.

On Friday, U.S. officials said the Pentagon would deploy an additional aircraft carrier to the Middle East, alongside thousands of extra troops, fighter aircraft and guided-missile destroyers — a build-up designed to bolster both offensive and defensive capabilities.

Speaking to American service personnel at a base in North Carolina, Trump acknowledged the challenges of negotiations with Tehran.

“It has been difficult to make a deal” with Iran, he said.

“Sometimes you have to have fear. That's the only thing that really will get the situation taken care of,” Trump added.

Asked about preparations for a potentially prolonged military operation, White House spokesperson Anna Kelly said: “President Trump has all options on the table with regard to Iran.”

“He listens to a variety of perspectives on any given issue, but makes the final decision based on what is best for our country and national security,” she said.

The Pentagon declined to comment on the operational planning.

Last year, the United States deployed two aircraft carriers to the region during a period of heightened tensions and carried out strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities. June’s “Midnight Hammer” operation, however, was effectively a single, discrete strike involving stealth bombers flying from the United States to hit nuclear targets.

Iran’s response was limited to a restrained retaliatory strike on a U.S. base in Qatar.

The current planning is understood to be considerably more complex. In the event of a sustained campaign, U.S. forces could target not only nuclear infrastructure but also Iranian state and security facilities, according to one of the officials, who declined to provide further specifics.

Military analysts warn that the risks to U.S. forces would be significantly greater in a prolonged conflict. Iran possesses an extensive missile arsenal, and retaliatory strikes could trigger a cycle of escalation with unpredictable regional consequences.

One of the officials said Washington fully expects Tehran to respond militarily if attacked, raising the prospect of sustained exchanges over time.

The White House and Pentagon did not answer detailed questions regarding the potential risks of Iranian retaliation or a broader regional war.

Trump has repeatedly threatened to bomb Iran over its nuclear and ballistic missile programmes and its suppression of domestic dissent. On Thursday, he warned that the alternative to a diplomatic breakthrough would “be very traumatic, very traumatic.”

Iran’s Revolutionary Guards have cautioned that any strike on Iranian territory would prompt retaliation against U.S. military bases across the region. The United States maintains installations in Jordan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates and Turkey.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu met Trump in Washington on Wednesday and said that any agreement with Iran “must include the elements that are vital to Israel.”

Tehran has indicated it is willing to discuss restrictions on its nuclear programme in exchange for sanctions relief, but has firmly rejected linking negotiations to its ballistic missile capabilities. - February 14, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation