World

Iran drills in Strait of Hormuz as nuclear talks resume under shadow of U.S. military pressure

Tehran insists sanctions relief must precede nuclear curbs while Washington expands demands and deploys additional warships to the region

Updated 6 months ago · Published on 17 Feb 2026 7:39AM

Iran drills in Strait of Hormuz as nuclear talks resume under shadow of U.S. military pressure
Araqchi says he was in Geneva to "achieve a fair and equitable deal" (Photo from Reuters) - February 17, 2026

IRAN has launched military exercises in the Strait of Hormuz and renewed high-level diplomatic contacts with the United Nations nuclear watchdog, as negotiations with the United States resume amid heightened military tensions and widening demands from Washington.

Tehran’s manoeuvres in the strategic waterway come as the US orders a second aircraft carrier group to the Middle East, adding to an existing deployment of warships and aircraft, following its participation alongside Israel in air strikes on Iranian targets in June.

Reuters cited on Tuesday that Iran’s Foreign Minister, Abbas Araqchi, met Rafael Grossi, head of the International Atomic Energy Agency, in Geneva on Monday, ahead of further talks with Washington aimed at resolving the long-running dispute over Tehran’s nuclear programme.

Speaking during a visit to Hungary, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio acknowledged the difficulty of reaching an accord.

"I think that there's an opportunity here to diplomatically reach an agreement that addresses the things we're concerned about. We'll be very open and welcoming to that.

“But I don't want to overstate it either. It's going to be hard. It's been very difficult for anyone to do real deals with Iran, because we're dealing with radical Shia clerics who are making theological decisions, not geopolitical ones."

Araqchi said he was in Geneva to "achieve a fair and equitable deal".

"What is not on the table: submission before threats," Araqchi said on X.

The renewed diplomacy follows months of deadlock. Washington has sought to broaden the scope of negotiations beyond nuclear enrichment to include Iran’s missile stockpile, a proposal Tehran has firmly rejected.

Iranian officials maintain they are prepared to discuss limits on their nuclear programme in exchange for sanctions relief, but will not accept a complete halt to uranium enrichment, nor negotiate over missile capabilities.

Deputy Foreign Minister Majid Takht-Ravanchi told the BBC that the ball was "in America's court to prove that they want to do a deal."

The International Atomic Energy Agency has meanwhile pressed Iran to clarify the status of 440 kilogrammes of highly enriched uranium following last year’s Israeli-US strikes on nuclear facilities at Natanz, Fordow and Isfahan.

The agency is also seeking the full resumption of inspections at the affected sites.

Tensions have been compounded by Iranian military activity in the Strait of Hormuz, through which roughly a fifth of global oil supplies pass.

The Revolutionary Guards have begun drills titled “Smart Control of the Strait of Hormuz” to test naval readiness in safeguarding the waterway, according to the semi-official Tasnim news agency.

"Intelligently utilising the geopolitical advantages of the Islamic Republic in the Persian Gulf and the Sea of Oman are among the main objectives of this exercise," Tasnim said.

Iran has repeatedly warned it could close the strait in retaliation for any attack, a move that would severely disrupt global energy markets. Gulf Arab states, whose oil exports rely on the passage, have urged diplomacy to prevent escalation.

Oil prices were little changed on Monday, as investors weighed the prospect of de-escalation through negotiations against anticipated increases in OPEC+ supply.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he had told US President Donald Trump last week that any agreement must go beyond curbing enrichment.

"There shall be no enrichment capability - not stopping the enrichment process, but dismantling the equipment and the infrastructure that allows you to enrich in the first place," he said.

Iran insists its nuclear programme is solely for civilian purposes and says it is willing to build trust that enrichment activities will remain peaceful. However, with military assets building up in the region and both sides maintaining firm public positions, the prospects for a breakthrough remain uncertain. - February 17, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation