World

Prince Andrew released under investigation after arrest over alleged public office misconduct

King Charles voices “deepest concern” as unprecedented arrest of his younger brother follows claims confidential documents were shared with Jeffrey Epstein

Updated 6 months ago · Published on 20 Feb 2026 8:41AM

Prince Andrew released under investigation after arrest over alleged public office misconduct
The arrest, on his 66th birthday, marks an unprecedented development for a senior member of the modern royal family - February 20, 2026

PRINCE Andrew has been released under investigation after being arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office over allegations that he passed confidential government documents to Jeffrey Epstein.

Reuters reported on Friday that the Duke of York, born Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, was detained and questioned on Thursday by officers from Thames Valley Police before being released from custody in the evening.

The arrest, on his 66th birthday, marks an unprecedented development for a senior member of the modern royal family.

Police confirmed that “the arrested man” had been “released under investigation”.

Earlier this month, the force said it was examining allegations that Prince Andrew shared official documents with Epstein while serving as the United Kingdom’s Special Representative for Trade and Investment.

A conviction for misconduct in public office, a common law offence, carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment and is tried in the Crown Court.

In a statement, King Charles III said he had learned of the arrest “with the deepest concern”.

“I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office,” the King said.

Although Buckingham Palace was not informed in advance of the arrest, the monarch made clear that the authorities had the family’s backing.

“Let me state clearly: the law must take its course,” he said.

“Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.”

A Reuters witness saw Prince Andrew leaving Aylsham Police Station shortly after 1900 GMT, where photographers and television crews met him. A photograph taken after his release showed him seated inside a car, appearing visibly shaken.

Earlier in the day, six unmarked police vehicles and several plain-clothes officers were seen at Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate in eastern England, where he now resides.

Officers were also reported to be searching the mansion on the Windsor estate where he had lived before stepping back from royal life.

Police stressed that an arrest indicates reasonable suspicion but does not imply guilt.

Thames Valley Police Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said: “Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.

“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”

Prince Andrew has consistently denied wrongdoing in connection with Epstein, the convicted sex offender who died in custody in 2019, and has previously said he regrets their friendship.

His office did not respond to requests for comment, and he has not spoken publicly since the United States government released more than three million pages of documents relating to Epstein.

Those files suggested that in 2010, he forwarded reports on Vietnam, Singapore and other destinations visited during official trips in his role as trade envoy.

He stepped down from that position in 2011 after scrutiny of his ties to Epstein first intensified.

The current investigation is separate from a civil lawsuit brought in the United States by Virginia Giuffre, who accused him of sexual abuse when she was a teenager.

In 2022, he reached an out-of-court settlement in that case without admitting liability. Giuffre died by suicide last year.

Responding to news of the arrest, Giuffre’s family said: “Today, our broken hearts have been lifted at the news that no one is above the law, not even royalty.”

The development represents a further setback for the Duke of York, who withdrew from public duties in 2019 amid controversy over his association with Epstein and was stripped of his remaining military affiliations and royal patronages last October.

In the United States, President Donald Trump described the arrest as “a shame”.

“I think it's very sad. I think it's so bad for the royal family,” he told reporters. “It's very, very sad to me... to see what's going on with his (King Charles') brother.”

The misconduct inquiry is not the only matter under review. Anti-monarchy campaign group Republic has reported Prince Andrew to police over allegations that a woman was trafficked to Britain for sex in 2010.

Thames Valley Police has said it is assessing claims that a woman was taken to an address in Windsor where he had been living.

Separately, former Prime Minister Gordon Brown has called for an investigation into whether Epstein trafficked women through London Stansted Airport without adequate scrutiny. Essex Police confirmed this week that it was examining the issue.

Should Prince Andrew ultimately face charges, he would join a small number of senior royals to have been formally accused of criminal offences.

Princess Anne was fined for speeding in 2001 and, the following year, became the first royal in more than three centuries to be convicted of a criminal offence after pleading guilty to failing to control a dog that bit two children.

In 1649, King Charles I was tried for treason and executed at the end of the English Civil War. - February 20, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons