World

Failed diplomatic negotiations, an “existential threat” causes Tehran bombing

Tehran and northern Israel rocked by explosions as joint operation targets Iranian nuclear and missile facilities

Updated 5 months ago · Published on 28 Feb 2026 4:43PM

Failed diplomatic negotiations, an “existential threat” causes Tehran bombing
“We are doing this for the future, and it is a noble mission,” says Trump - February 28, 2026

ISRAEL and the United States launched a coordinated military strike on Iran on Saturday, with the first assault reported near the offices of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

Explosions and plumes of smoke were observed across Tehran as the strikes targeted Iranian military installations, government offices, and intelligence facilities.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu described the operation as a pre-emptive measure aimed at removing an “existential threat” posed by Iran and said the campaign would create conditions for the Iranian population to “take their fate into their own hands.”

Reuters reported on Saturday that the military action follows failed diplomatic negotiations between Washington and Tehran earlier this month, after weeks of talks aimed at curbing Iran’s nuclear ambitions.

Both the United States and Israel had previously warned that further military measures would be taken if Iran continued advancing its nuclear and ballistic missile programmes.

President Donald Trump confirmed the United States had commenced “major combat operations” in Iran, warning that casualties among American forces were possible.

“The lives of courageous American heroes may be lost and we may have casualties — that often happens in war — but we are doing this, not for now.

“We are doing this for the future, and it is a noble mission,” he stated in a social media video. Trump urged members of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps to surrender their weapons, offering immunity, while warning that refusal would result in “certain death.”

He also emphasised that Iran had “refused, just as it has for decades and decades,” to abandon its nuclear programme.

It remains unclear whether the 86-year-old Khamenei was present in his offices during the initial strike.

Authorities closed roads around his compound as further explosions were reported throughout Tehran. Neighboring Iraq closed its airspace as a precautionary measure.

The operation was reportedly planned over several months, with the launch date finalised weeks in advance. Some personnel at the U.S. Al Udeid Air Force base in Qatar were evacuated as a precaution.

In northern Israel, explosions followed as the military activated air defence systems to intercept missiles fired by Iran.

Sirens sounded across Jordan, and hospitals in Israel implemented emergency protocols, transferring patients and surgeries to underground facilities.

Iranian authorities also closed airspace and disabled mobile phone networks, while no casualty reports have yet been confirmed.

Satellite imagery indicates renewed activity at sites previously targeted during a 12-day U.S.-Israeli air campaign last June, suggesting that Iran is assessing and potentially recovering critical materials.

Iran’s ballistic missiles are currently limited to a self-imposed range of 2,000 kilometres, covering much of the Middle East and parts of eastern Europe.

Although there is no public evidence that Iran is developing intercontinental ballistic missiles, U.S. intelligence has noted that Tehran’s space-launch capabilities could allow such development in the future.

The strikes mark a major escalation in a decades-long dispute over Iran’s nuclear programme, with Washington and Jerusalem signalling that additional military action is possible should Iran continue enrichment and missile activities.

Explosions across Tehran shortly after the operation began underscore the rapidly escalating tensions in the region. - February 28, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates