World

US officials sceptical of regime change after Khamenei killing, Trump urges Iranians to rise

Trump warns of further American casualties as U.S. and Israeli strikes leave Iran’s leadership in flux, but intelligence casts doubt on near-term government collapse

Updated 5 months ago · Published on 02 Mar 2026 11:23AM

US officials sceptical of regime change after Khamenei killing, Trump urges Iranians to rise
U.S. intelligence official says the remnants of the regime, those with the weapons, are likely to use them to keep power - March 2, 2026

FOLLOWING the targeted killing of Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei on Saturday, senior U.S. officials are expressing caution about the prospect of a rapid regime change in Tehran, even as President Donald Trump called on Iranians to “take back” their country.

“I call upon all Iranian patriots who yearn for freedom to seize this moment … and take back your country,” AP cited Trump saying in a video posted on his Truth Social platform on Sunday.

Despite the rhetoric, U.S. intelligence assessments suggest it is unlikely that Iran’s opposition, battered by repression and lacking defections from the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), could successfully overthrow the theocratic government in the near term.

Officials note that even with Khamenei’s death and the losses suffered by Iran’s leadership in U.S. and Israeli air strikes, the hardline elements of the IRGC and clerical establishment remain powerful and loyal, backed by extensive internal patronage networks.

“At the end of the day, once U.S. and Israeli strikes stop, if the Iranian people come out, their success in promoting the end of the regime will depend on the rank and file standing aside or aligning with them,” said Jonathan Panikoff, a former senior U.S. intelligence official now at the Atlantic Council.

“Otherwise, the remnants of the regime, those with the weapons, are likely to use them to keep power.”

Trump, however, has suggested that the U.S. may continue engagement with Iran even amid the offensive, indicating that Washington does not expect an immediate collapse of the government.

The U.S. administration has also debated the potential effects of Khamenei’s death on Iran’s nuclear negotiations, with no clear consensus among agencies on whether a new leadership would alter the country’s approach to its ballistic missile and nuclear programs.

The military operation has already claimed American lives.

On Sunday, U.S. Central Command announced that three American service members were killed and five others seriously wounded during the strikes, marking the first U.S. casualties in the campaign.

The soldiers, deployed to Kuwait as part of a logistics unit, were described by Trump as “true American patriots who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our nation.”

“We pray for the full recovery of the wounded and send our immense love and eternal gratitude to the families of the fallen,” Trump said.

“And sadly, there will likely be more before it ends. That’s the way it is. Likely be more, but we’ll do everything possible where that won’t be the case.”

He previously told the Daily Mail that he expects the conflict could last for “four weeks or so” and warned that additional casualties were possible.

Meanwhile, Iran’s leadership has moved to stabilise the situation. President Masoud Pezeshkian confirmed that a temporary council comprising himself, the judiciary chief, and a member of the powerful Guardian Council has assumed the duties of the Supreme Leader.

Security chief Ali Larijani condemned the U.S. and Israeli strikes as attempts to “plunder and disintegrate” Iran and warned that any secessionist action would be met with harsh retaliation.

Iran has conducted counterstrikes targeting U.S. and Israeli installations in the Gulf, including Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates.

The Revolutionary Guard has claimed it intends to carry out its “most intense offensive operation” ever. U.S. officials, however, denied Iranian claims that the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln was struck.

The operation forms part of a broader escalation in the Middle East, with Trump having previously deployed the largest U.S. naval and air force presence in the region in decades.

The offensive follows a series of military actions during his second term, including strikes on Islamic State targets in Syria and Nigeria, as well as the capture of Venezuelan leader Nicolás Maduro in January.

As the situation evolves, U.S. intelligence and military planners continue to grapple with the uncertain implications of Khamenei’s death, balancing the administration’s objectives of disabling Iran’s missile and nuclear programs with the recognition that a rapid regime change is far from assured. - March 2, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month