World

Escalating Iran war: Civilian toll mounts as U.S. lawmakers back Trump’s military action

Rights group reports more than 1,000 killed in Iran, including 181 children, as Senate Republicans reject bid to curb military action and regional hostilities spread

Updated 5 months ago · Published on 05 Mar 2026 9:37AM

Escalating Iran war: Civilian toll mounts as U.S. lawmakers back Trump’s military action
U.S. Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth says “will take all the time we need to make sure that we succeed” (Photo from AFP) - March 5, 2026

MORE than 1,000 people, including at least 181 children, have been killed in Iran since the war began on Saturday, according to the US-based Human Rights Activists News Agency, as the conflict widens across the Middle East and Washington deepens its involvement.

The rights organisation said that as of Tuesday afternoon, at least 1,097 civilians had been killed and more than 5,400 injured, including 100 children.

AP cited the agency describing the figures as preliminary, adding that it was verifying hundreds more reported deaths.

The mounting civilian toll comes as Senate Republicans moved to shield U.S. President Donald Trump from congressional constraints on the war effort.

Lawmakers voted down a war powers resolution by 47 to 53, rejecting a measure that would have required congressional approval before any further attacks on Iran. A parallel bill in the House faces similarly long odds when it is put to a vote.

In the Senate, Republican Senator Susan Collins argued that the threat posed by Tehran justified continued military action.

“We cannot tolerate a nuclear-armed Iran. The Iranian regime’s pursuit of nuclear capabilities, ballistic missile development, and support for terrorist proxies pose serious and longstanding threats to the national security of the United States and our allies,” she said.

On that note, Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth said on Wednesday that a US submarine had sunk an Iranian warship in international waters and that additional American forces would be deployed to the region.

He added that the United States “will take all the time we need to make sure that we succeed.”

The conflict has rapidly expanded beyond direct US–Iran hostilities. Israel has struck targets in Tehran and hit the Iranian-backed Hezbollah movement in Lebanon, including airstrikes on Beirut’s southern suburbs following evacuation warnings.

Lebanese officials say more than 70 people have been killed in Israeli strikes since the latest escalation began.

Iran has launched missiles and drones towards Israel, Bahrain and Kuwait. Turkey said NATO defences intercepted a ballistic missile fired from Iran before it entered Turkish airspace.

The United Nations peacekeeping force in southern Lebanon reported that both Israel and Hezbollah had violated the 2006 ceasefire, while also accusing Israel of breaching Lebanese sovereignty.

In northern Iraq, residents described feeling trapped amid drone and missile attacks targeting US bases and diplomatic facilities.

“It’s difficult to be a victim of a war that we’re not part of,” said Hawkar Hadi, whose home in Irbil was damaged by an explosion. “We’re paying the cost of things we didn’t do.”

Global markets have reacted nervously to the escalating hostilities.

Oil prices have surged following Iranian attacks on shipping through the Strait of Hormuz, raising fears that sustained disruption could weigh heavily on the world economy. While US markets opened steadier on Wednesday, volatility has intensified in recent days.

Amid the widening conflict, Trump struck a confident tone at a White House event, declaring that the United States was “doing very well on the war front, to put it mildly.”

Asked to rate America’s performance out of 10, he replied: “about a 15.” - March 5, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation