World

Southeast Asian governments move to curb energy use as Middle East conflict disrupts oil supply

Measures come after significant disruption to the critical oil transit routes at the Strait of Hormuz raising fears of sharp increases in domestic fuel prices across energy-importing nations

Updated 5 months ago · Published on 10 Mar 2026 2:43PM

Southeast Asian governments move to curb energy use as Middle East conflict disrupts oil supply
“We are victims of a war that we did not choose. However, we can control and protect the Filipino people,” Ferdinand Marcos Jr says - March 10, 2026

THE Philippines has introduced a temporary four-day working week for government offices while Vietnam has urged businesses to adopt remote working, as Southeast Asian economies scramble to cushion the impact of surging fuel prices following supply disruptions linked to conflict involving Iran.

The measures come after significant disruption to the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most critical oil transit routes through which about a third of global supply passes, raising fears of sharp increases in domestic fuel prices across energy-importing nations.

Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr announced that all government offices would shift to a shortened working week beginning Monday, 9 March, describing the decision as part of broader efforts to manage the economic consequences of rising oil prices.

Marcos warned that fuel prices in the Philippines could rise substantially as a result of the supply shock. Petrol prices are expected to increase by 7.48 pesos per litre, diesel by 17.28 pesos per litre and kerosene by 32.35 pesos per litre.

“We are victims of a war that we did not choose. However, we can control and protect the Filipino people,” he said in a statement issued on Friday.

The Philippines remains heavily dependent on crude oil imports from West Asia and still relies on oil-fired power plants to generate a portion of its electricity, leaving the country particularly vulnerable to volatility in global energy markets.

The ongoing conflict also raises concerns for more than two million Filipino workers employed across the Middle East, whose security and employment prospects may be affected.

Alongside the four-day working week, Marcos has directed all government agencies to reduce their consumption of fuel and electricity by between 10 and 20 per cent.

Official study trips have been suspended and meetings that can be conducted virtually are to be moved online.

The president has also requested congressional authority to lower excise taxes on petroleum products if global crude oil prices exceed US$80 per barrel.

In addition, he has proposed amendments to existing biofuel legislation to allow the use of cheaper bioethanol blends in petroleum.

The Philippine government is also considering fuel subsidies and targeted cash assistance for sectors most affected by rising energy costs, although details have yet to be finalised.

The four-day working arrangement will be temporary, with essential frontline services such as the police and fire departments exempted.

Meanwhile, Vietnam has introduced its own measures to curb fuel consumption as prices surge.

The country’s Ministry of Trade has urged businesses to allow employees to work from home to reduce travel and transportation needs.

“Businesses should encourage employees to work from home to reduce the need for travel and transportation,” the ministry said in a statement.

Vietnam is among the countries most affected by fuel supply disruptions since the conflict involving Iran escalated, largely due to its heavy reliance on energy imports from West Asia.

Fuel prices have risen sharply in recent weeks. Data from the state-linked fuel trading company Petrolimex shows petrol prices have climbed by 32 per cent since the end of last month, diesel by 56 per cent and kerosene by 80 per cent.

The spike has triggered long queues at petrol stations in Hanoi, prompting authorities to warn businesses and consumers against fuel speculation.

Vietnamese Prime Minister Pham Minh Minh has also contacted counterparts in Kuwait, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates to secure stable supplies of crude oil and refined fuels.

As an immediate response, the Vietnamese government has suspended fuel import tariffs until the end of April in an attempt to ease supply constraints and stabilise domestic prices while the conflict in West Asia continues. - March 10, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran