World

European nations reject U.S. call for military deployment to Strait of Hormuz

Amid escalating tensions with Iran, European countries have firmly declined Washington’s requests to deploy naval forces to the Strait of Hormuz

Updated 5 months ago · Published on 17 Mar 2026 1:09PM

European nations reject U.S. call for military deployment to Strait of Hormuz
EU leaders insist focus remains on maritime security and diplomatic solutions rather than direct military involvement - March 17, 2026

EUROPEAN nations have rejected calls from the United States to deploy naval forces to the Strait of Hormuz, underscoring that they have no intention of becoming directly involved in the escalating conflict with Iran.

Bernama-Anadolu cited on Tuesday that the announcement follows a meeting of European Union foreign ministers in Brussels, where EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs Kaja Kallas stated that member states “do not have any desire to be actively involved in military action against Iran” and emphasised that Europe “has no interest in an open war.”

Kallas said the EU’s priority is to reinforce maritime security while maintaining a focus on diplomatic efforts.

She confirmed that there is little interest among member states in extending current operations, such as Operation Aspides in the Red Sea, into the Strait of Hormuz.

“No one wants to become actively involved in this war,” she said, stressing that preserving freedom of navigation and pursuing diplomatic solutions remain the bloc’s foremost concerns.

Italy’s Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani echoed this stance, noting that EU naval missions, which escort commercial vessels and conduct anti-piracy operations, were not designed to operate in the Strait of Hormuz.

“We are prepared to strengthen these missions,” he said, “but I do not believe they can be expanded to include the Strait of Hormuz.”

Germany has similarly ruled out sending forces to the Gulf. Chancellor Friedrich Merz stated that Berlin “will not do so” and called for an immediate political resolution to the crisis.

Defence Minister Boris Pistorius added that any deployment outside NATO territory would require legal approval and parliamentary consent, emphasising:

“This is not our war; we did not start it. We want a diplomatic solution and for the conflict to end immediately.”

The United Kingdom also resisted pressure from Washington. Prime Minister Keir Starmer declared that Britain “will not be drawn into a wider war,” stressing that any military deployment must have a legal mandate.

Poland and Belgium have likewise prioritised diplomacy and regional stability over military engagement.

Polish Foreign Minister Radoslaw Sikorski criticised former US President Donald Trump for treating NATO as separate from the United States and for urging European participation in Gulf operations.

Belgian Prime Minister Bart De Wever confirmed that Belgium would not join any offensive alongside US and Israeli forces.

Earlier, US President Donald Trump claimed that “many countries” were prepared to assist in reopening the Strait of Hormuz but did not specify which nations, noting concerns that they could become targets for Iran.

The Strait of Hormuz has become a flashpoint for global energy markets after Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) announced restrictions on most shipping following US-Israeli strikes beginning on 28 February.

Before the conflict, around 20 million barrels of oil passed through the strait daily, and any disruption has contributed to rising oil prices.

The US-Israeli operations against Iran have so far claimed more than 1,300 lives, including Iran’s Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei at the time. Iran has retaliated with drone and missile attacks targeting Israel, Jordan, Iraq, and Gulf states hosting US military assets. - March 17, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen