World

Trump issues ultimatum to Iran as long-range missile strikes widen conflict

Escalation intensifies as Donald Trump threatens to strike Iranian infrastructure, while Tehran launches unprecedented long-range missiles and attacks southern Israel

Updated 4 months ago · Published on 22 Mar 2026 8:53AM

Trump issues ultimatum to Iran as long-range missile strikes widen conflict
Iran confirms deploying long-range ballistic missiles, significantly extending the potential reach of the conflict beyond the region - March 22, 2026

THE conflict involving Iran, Israel and the United States escalated sharply on Saturday after Donald Trump issued a stark ultimatum to Tehran, warning of devastating strikes on its power infrastructure.

"If Iran doesn't FULLY OPEN, WITHOUT THREAT, the Strait of Hormuz, within 48 HOURS from this exact point in time, the United States of America will hit and obliterate their various POWER PLANTS, STARTING WITH THE BIGGEST ONE FIRST!" Reuters cited Trump saying on social media.

The warning came amid a rapid deterioration in hostilities, with Israeli officials confirming that Iran had, for the first time, deployed long-range ballistic missiles, significantly extending the potential reach of the conflict beyond the region.

According to Israeli military chief Eyal Zamir, Iran launched two missiles with a range of up to 4,000 kilometres towards the joint US-UK military base at Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean.

"These missiles are not intended to strike Israel. Their range reaches European capitals - Berlin, Paris, and Rome are all within direct threat range," Zamir said in a statement.

The development marks a critical turning point, highlighting the expanding scope of Iran’s missile capabilities and raising alarm across Europe.

A British defence source indicated that the strike occurred before London formally authorised the United States to use its bases for operations against Iranian missile targets.

Meanwhile, Iranian missile attacks struck southern Israeli cities late on Saturday, including Dimona and Arad, injuring dozens of civilians, among them children. Iran’s Revolutionary Guards said the targets were "military installations" and security centres.

Israeli military spokesperson Effie Defrin acknowledged that air defence systems had been active but failed to intercept the incoming strikes.

"We will investigate the incident and learn from it," he said in a post on X.

The strikes occurred near sensitive sites, including Israel’s nuclear facility located approximately 13 kilometres from Dimona, as well as major military installations such as Nevatim Air Base.

Responding to the attacks, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu described the situation as grave.

"This has been a very difficult evening in the battle for our future," Netanyahu said in a statement released by his office following the strike on Arad.

"We are determined to continue striking our enemies on all fronts," the statement said.

Casualty figures continue to mount on both sides. More than 2,000 people have reportedly been killed in Iran since joint US and Israeli strikes began in late February, while at least 15 people have been killed in Israel due to Iranian attacks.

The latest developments underscore a rapidly widening conflict, with strategic waterways such as the Strait of Hormuz and long-range missile capabilities now central to an increasingly volatile confrontation. - March 22, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation