World

Israel expands military plans in Lebanon as regional conflict deepens

Fears of a wider war are intensifying after Israel approved expanded operations against Hezbollah, amid rising civilian casualties in Lebanon and Iran and mounting humanitarian concerns

Updated 4 months ago · Published on 23 Mar 2026 9:27AM

Israel expands military plans in Lebanon as regional conflict deepens
Lebanon’s health authorities say more than 1,000 people have been killed since the escalation, including at least 118 children and 40 healthcare workers (Photo from AFP) - March 23, 2026

ISRAEL has approved plans to significantly expand its military operations against Hezbollah in Lebanon, fuelling fears that a large-scale ground incursion may be imminent as regional tensions escalate.

The move follows a sharp deterioration in security after Hezbollah launched rocket attacks towards northern Israel earlier this month, against the backdrop of an ongoing conflict involving Israel, the United States and Iran.

AP, citing Lebanon’s health authorities reported on Monday that more than 1,000 people have been killed since the escalation, including at least 118 children and 40 healthcare workers, while over one million residents have been displaced, raising alarm over a deepening humanitarian crisis.

The Israeli military said Chief of Staff Eyal Zamir had approved plans to “advance ground operations and targeted strikes” against Hezbollah, signalling a campaign that could extend over a prolonged period.

The stated objective is to protect Israeli communities in the north from continued attacks.

In a parallel move, Defence Minister Israel Katz ordered the destruction of bridges across the Litani River, which Israel claims are being used by Hezbollah to move fighters and equipment.

Subsequent air strikes damaged the Qasmiye Bridge, a key route linking southern Lebanon to central areas near the coastal city of Tyre.

The crossings are not only strategically significant but also vital for civilian movement, intensifying fears among Lebanese residents that southern regions could be isolated ahead of a broader offensive.

The river lies roughly 30 kilometres from the Israel-Lebanon border, and concerns are mounting that Israel may be seeking to cut off predominantly Shiite areas regarded as Hezbollah strongholds, potentially paving the way for territorial control and the creation of a buffer zone.

Lebanese President Joseph Aoun condemned the strikes as “the beginning of a ground invasion”, describing them as “collective punishment against civilians”.

He warned that the actions could form part of a wider strategy to expand Israeli control within Lebanese territory.

Katz also confirmed that Israeli forces had been instructed to demolish homes in Lebanese border villages to remove perceived threats to Israeli communities, a tactic observers say mirrors operations seen in Gaza, where infrastructure destruction and forced displacement have been used to establish security zones.

The latest escalation was triggered after Hezbollah launched rockets in response to the killing of Iran’s Supreme Leader, Ali Khamenei, despite a ceasefire agreed in November 2024. Lebanese authorities have accused Israel of repeatedly violating that truce through near-daily strikes.

Efforts by the Lebanese government to disarm Hezbollah have stalled, with the group refusing to engage in discussions over its weapons. President Aoun has rejected the use of force to resolve the issue, warning it would deepen sectarian divisions and risk further violence.

Meanwhile, the conflict has taken a heavy toll in Iran.

Bernama reported earlier that at least 210 children have been killed and a further 1,510 injured since the start of joint US-Israeli strikes, according to Health Minister Mohammad-Reza Zafarghandi.

In remarks carried by the semi-official ISNA, he said around 300 health, medical and emergency facilities had been damaged since Feb 28, while approximately 30 ambulances had been rendered unusable.

Regional tensions have surged since the United States and Israel launched coordinated strikes on Iran on Feb 28, in a campaign that has reportedly killed more than 1,300 people.

With violence spreading across multiple fronts and civilian casualties rising, fears are growing that the conflict could spiral into a broader regional war with far-reaching humanitarian and geopolitical consequences. - March 23, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons