World

Iran confirms death of Revolutionary Guards naval chief in Israeli strike

Killing of senior commander linked to Strait of Hormuz blockade marks latest high-level casualty as conflict enters second month

Updated 4 months ago · Published on 30 Mar 2026 6:46PM

Iran confirms death of Revolutionary Guards naval chief in Israeli strike
Israeli Defence Minister Katz says the strike had killed the “man who was directly responsible for the terrorist operation of mining and blocking the Strait of Hormuz” (Photo from AFP) - March 30, 2026

IRAN has confirmed that the commander of the naval forces of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps has died following an Israeli air strike, in a significant escalation as the regional conflict enters its second month.

In a statement carried by the Guards’ Sepah News outlet, Alireza Tangsiri was said to have “succumbed to severe injuries” sustained in the attack last week.

AFP cited that the confirmation follows an earlier announcement by Israeli Defence Minister Israel Katz, who said the strike had killed the commander, describing him as the “man who was directly responsible for the terrorist operation of mining and blocking the Strait of Hormuz”.

Since the outbreak of hostilities, Iran has effectively imposed a blockade on the Strait of Hormuz, a critical global energy route, contributing to sharp increases in oil prices and heightened volatility in international markets.

Iran’s statement said Tangsiri had been overseeing coastal defence operations at the time of the strike and vowed retaliation, declaring “that we will not rest until the enemy is completely destroyed”.

He is the latest in a series of senior Iranian figures killed since the conflict began on February 28, including Ali Khamenei and senior security official Ali Larijani, along with more than a dozen other high-ranking individuals.

Israeli authorities have said the campaign has dealt a significant blow to Iran’s leadership structure, although analysts suggest the country retains the capacity to adapt and sustain its military posture.

A veteran of the Iran-Iraq War, Tangsiri was among the most experienced and recognisable figures within Iran’s naval command.

He was appointed in 2018 by Khamenei to lead the Guards’ naval arm, which is tasked with safeguarding the Islamic republic against both internal and external threats.

Under his leadership, the force expanded its operational capabilities and was involved in the seizure of several foreign vessels in recent years, reflecting its growing role in regional maritime security dynamics.

Despite the loss of key figures, the conflict continues to widen, with both sides signalling resolve and the broader geopolitical and economic repercussions intensifying across the region. - March 30, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident