World

US deploys elite airborne troops to Middle East as Trump weighs escalation in Iran war

Arrival of thousands of paratroopers signals expanding military options for Washington, including potential operations inside Iran, despite mounting political and strategic risks

Updated 4 months ago · Published on 31 Mar 2026 8:57AM

US deploys elite airborne troops to Middle East as Trump weighs escalation in Iran war
Officials says the reinforcements are intended to expand operational readiness for a range of contingencies - March 31, 2026

THE United States has begun deploying thousands of elite airborne troops to the Middle East, significantly reinforcing its military presence as President Donald Trump considers broadening the scope of the ongoing war with Iran.

On Tuesday, Reuters cited two U.S. officials confirming that soldiers from the Army’s 82nd Airborne Division are now arriving in the region, adding to a growing build-up that already includes naval forces, Marines and Special Operations units.

The division, headquartered at Fort Bragg in North Carolina, is among the military’s most rapidly deployable combat forces.

The latest deployment follows earlier reports that the Trump administration had been weighing the option of sending thousands more troops to the region, a move that could enable operations on Iranian soil.

While no decision has been taken to commit ground forces inside Iran, officials said the reinforcements are intended to expand operational readiness for a range of contingencies.

The incoming forces include elements of the division’s headquarters, logistical and support units, as well as a brigade combat team.

Over the weekend, approximately 2,500 Marines also arrived in the region, underscoring the pace of the military build-up.

Although officials did not disclose specific deployment locations, the move had been widely anticipated amid escalating hostilities.

Military planners are said to be examining several potential missions.

Among the most sensitive is the possibility of seizing Kharg Island, a critical hub handling roughly 90 per cent of Iran’s oil exports. Such an operation would carry significant risks, given the island’s vulnerability to Iranian missile and drone strikes.

Other options under discussion include deploying ground forces to secure or extract highly enriched uranium, as well as operations to ensure the safe passage of oil tankers through the Strait of Hormuz.

While such missions would primarily rely on air and naval power, they could necessitate a limited U.S. troop presence along Iran’s coastline or deeper inland.

Trump indicated on Monday that diplomatic efforts remain ongoing, stating that the United States is engaged in talks with a "more reasonable regime" in Iran.

However, he reiterated his warning that Tehran must reopen the Strait of Hormuz or face potential strikes on its energy infrastructure.

The prospect of deploying ground troops carries considerable political risk for the administration, particularly in light of limited public support for the campaign and Trump’s previous pledges to avoid entangling the United States in new Middle Eastern conflicts.

Since the start of operations on 28 February, U.S. forces have struck more than 11,000 targets under Operation Epic Fury.

The campaign has resulted in over 300 American soldiers wounded and 13 service members killed, reflecting the growing human cost of the conflict even before any large-scale ground intervention is authorised. - March 31, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month