World

Trump signals possible endgame in Iran conflict as markets and allies watch closely

Military options remain on the table and tensions persist around vital oil routes

Updated 4 months ago · Published on 02 Apr 2026 9:37AM

Trump signals possible endgame in Iran conflict as markets and allies watch closely
The US President moves to reassure a sceptical public and divided allies that the month-long war may soon wind down - April 2, 2026

UNITED STATES President Donald Trump has signalled a potential exit from the ongoing conflict with Iran, telling Americans in a televised address that Washington is preparing to wind down military operations after claiming key strategic gains.

Speaking from the White House in a primetime address that began at 9pm EDT on Wednesday, Trump declares that US forces have achieved their primary wartime objectives and that the conflict could be brought to a close within two to three weeks, according to administration officials.

Reuters reported today that the remarks came amid growing domestic unease over the war, now in its fifth week, with rising fuel prices and disruptions to global oil supplies weighing on public opinion.

Polling indicates a majority of Americans oppose continued involvement and favour a swift end to hostilities.

Officials said Trump is expected to assert that US forces have neutralised Iran’s naval capabilities and dismantled key elements of its ballistic missile programme, while maintaining that Tehran will be prevented from acquiring nuclear weapons.

At the same time, the president has kept open the possibility of limited future strikes, suggesting the US could carry out “spot hits” even after a broader withdrawal.

Earlier in the day, Trump criticised the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), expressing frustration at what he described as insufficient support from European allies, particularly over efforts to secure shipping lanes through the Strait of Hormuz.

He also said he was “absolutely” considering withdrawing the United States from NATO, a move that would mark a significant rupture in transatlantic relations.

Despite signals of de-escalation, the administration has continued to position military assets in the Gulf, with additional troops en route, underscoring the fluidity of US strategy.

Proposals under discussion have reportedly included seizing Iran’s enriched uranium stockpiles and securing strategic territory along its coastline.

Diplomatic efforts remain uncertain. While Trump has said talks are progressing, Tehran has denied any direct negotiations.

Iranian officials, meanwhile, have indicated a tougher stance on maritime transit through the Strait of Hormuz, a critical artery for global energy supplies.

Bernama-Anadolu cited Iranian Parliament’s National Security Committee head, Ebrahim Azizi, saying passage through the strait would now be subject to new conditions set by Tehran, declaring that what he described as decades of “hospitality” had come to an end.

Separately, Iran’s foreign ministry spokesman Esmail Baghaei warned that the conflict is already affecting regional security across the Gulf, including the Strait of Hormuz, the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman, with broader implications for the global economy.

He said vessels from non-hostile parties could still transit the strait, provided they coordinate with Iranian authorities, adding that the measures were intended to ensure safe passage. - April 2, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month