World

United States rescues downed airman in high-risk operation inside Iran

A dramatic US military rescue has retrieved a second crew member from a downed fighter jet inside Iranian territory

Updated 4 months ago · Published on 05 Apr 2026 2:13PM

United States rescues downed airman in high-risk operation inside Iran
The rescue eases fears of a potential hostage crisis as the conflict enters its sixth week (Photo from WS) - April 5, 2026

THE United States has successfully rescued an airman stranded deep inside Iranian territory after his fighter jet was shot down, marking a high-stakes military operation amid escalating tensions in the ongoing conflict with Iran.

Reuters, on Sunday, reported that the rescue, confirmed by the administration of Donald Trump, brings to a close an urgent search effort that had raised fears of a potential hostage situation.

The airman was part of a two-person crew aboard an F-15 fighter jet brought down by Iranian air defences earlier in the week.

“Over the past several hours, the United States Military pulled off one of the most daring Search and Rescue Operations in U.S. History,” Trump said in a statement shared by the White House.

He added that the rescued crew member, identified as a colonel, had sustained injuries but was expected to recover. “He will be just fine,” Trump said.

The development follows the earlier recovery of the first crew member, while the second airman’s whereabouts had triggered an intense search involving both US and Iranian efforts.

Iranian authorities had even urged civilians to help locate the missing American, fuelling concerns that his capture could be used as leverage in the conflict.

The rescue operation reportedly involved dozens of aircraft and encountered heavy resistance from Iranian forces.

According to earlier reports, two UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters were struck by Iranian fire but managed to exit Iranian airspace, while an A-10 Thunderbolt II was hit in a separate incident and crashed over Kuwait after the pilot ejected.

Despite the risks, Trump hailed the mission as a success and a demonstration of US military superiority.

“The fact that we were able to pull off both of these operations, without a SINGLE American killed, or even wounded, just proves once again, that we have achieved overwhelming Air Dominance and Superiority over the Iranian skies,” he said.

The operation comes at a critical moment in the conflict, now in its sixth week, with public support in the United States reportedly fragile and the risk of further escalation — including potential strikes on Iran’s energy infrastructure — still looming. - April 5, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus