World

One wrong “mistake” by Washington could lead to closure of Bab el-Mandeb, Iran adviser says

A senior Iranian adviser warns that further U.S. action could endanger another main maritime chokepoint, raising fears of wider disruption to global trade and energy flows

Updated 4 months ago · Published on 06 Apr 2026 12:27PM

One wrong “mistake” by Washington could lead to closure of Bab el-Mandeb, Iran adviser says
Iran signals risk to Red Sea shipping as U.S. pressure mounts over Hormuz - April 6, 2026

A SENIOR Iranian official has warned that escalating pressure from the United States could trigger disruption at a second key global shipping route, underscoring the danger of a broader regional crisis beyond the Strait of Hormuz.

Bernama-MNA reported Iran’s Expediency Discernment Council member Ali Akbar Velayati saying repeated “mistakes” by Washington could lead to the closure of the Bab el-Mandeb, a vital passage linking the Red Sea to the Gulf of Aden.

He described the waterway as strategically equivalent to Hormuz in the eyes of what he termed the “resistance alliance”, signalling that Tehran and its regional partners could widen the scope of maritime pressure if tensions escalate.

The remarks follow renewed threats from U.S. President Donald Trump, who has vowed to launch major strikes on Iran unless it fully reopens the Strait of Hormuz by an imminent deadline.

In a social media post, Velayati suggested that Washington risked underestimating the consequences of its actions.

He warned that the White House would quickly realise that global energy flows and trade routes could be disrupted “with a single signal” if what he called “foolish mistakes” were repeated.

Velayati added that while the United States had historically learned from its encounters with Iran, it still failed to fully grasp the region’s geopolitical dynamics, implying that any direct challenge could trigger immediate strategic repercussions.

The Bab el-Mandeb strait, located off the coast of Yemen, is a critical artery for shipping bound for the Suez Canal and a key corridor for global oil supplies.

The warning comes amid heightened tensions across the region, with Yemen’s Houthi movement — aligned with Tehran — previously signalling readiness to target the waterway in solidarity with Iran. Past attacks on vessels in the Red Sea during the Gaza conflict caused significant disruption to international trade.

Analysts say the latest statement points to a potential expansion of the crisis beyond Hormuz, raising the stakes for global shipping, energy markets and wider economic stability. - April 6, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit