World

Iran rejects ceasefire as Trump issues stark ultimatum over Strait of Hormuz

Iran calls for a permanent end to the war while rejecting a ceasefire proposal, as Donald Trump threatens sweeping attacks if Tehran fails to meet a deadline to reopen the Strait of Hormuz

Updated 4 months ago · Published on 07 Apr 2026 8:46AM

Iran rejects ceasefire as Trump issues stark ultimatum over Strait of Hormuz
Tehran's response includes lifting sanctions, safe passage in Strait of Hormuz, reconstruction of Iran as Trump threatens to attack civilian infrastructure if Tuesday deadline not met - April 7, 2026

TEHRAN has rejected a United States-backed ceasefire proposal and instead called for a lasting end to the war, escalating tensions as President Donald Trump warned of devastating military action if Iran fails to comply with his ultimatum.

According to Iran’s state news agency, the proposal relayed through Pakistan was dismissed by Tehran, which insisted that only a comprehensive and permanent settlement to the conflict would be acceptable.

Reuters cited on Tuesday that Iran’s response reportedly comprised ten conditions, including an end to regional hostilities, guarantees for safe navigation through the Strait of Hormuz, the lifting of sanctions and provisions for reconstruction.

Trump, however, rejected the response and reiterated his demand that Iran reopen the strategic waterway by a Tuesday night deadline, warning of overwhelming force if it failed to comply.

At a press conference, he said Iran could be "taken out" in one night "and that night might be tomorrow night," referring to Tuesday.

He further warned, "Every bridge in Iran will be decimated" by midnight EDT on Wednesday and "every power plant in Iran will be out of business, burning, exploding, and never to be used again."

Iran’s military leadership swiftly condemned the remarks.

A spokesperson for its joint armed forces command described Trump as “delusional” and denounced his warnings as “rude, arrogant rhetoric and baseless threats”.

The escalating rhetoric has been accompanied by intensifying military activity. Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi warned that “aggressors will see our might” following reported strikes on Sharif University of Technology, where facilities including an artificial intelligence centre were said to have been damaged.

Iranian officials have accused the United States and Israel of targeting civilian and academic infrastructure, with claims that dozens of universities have been hit since the conflict began.

Meanwhile, calls have emerged within Iran for public demonstrations to protect critical infrastructure.

Deputy Sports Minister Alireza Rahimi urged citizens to form human chains at power plants, stating: "We will stand hand in hand to say: Attacking public infrastructure is a war crime."

The conflict has also intensified across the wider region.

Benjamin Netanyahu said Israeli strikes on Iranian petrochemical facilities were aimed at dismantling the financial networks of the Revolutionary Guards, while Defence Minister Israel Katz threatened to target Iran’s leadership and infrastructure.

Iran has responded with missile attacks and strikes on regional energy facilities, demonstrating continued military capability despite repeated claims from Washington that its arsenal had been significantly degraded.

The closure of the Strait of Hormuz, through which roughly a fifth of global oil and gas supplies pass, has amplified global economic concerns and driven up fuel prices, underscoring the strategic stakes of the crisis.

With thousands reported dead across multiple countries and the conflict entering its sixth week, fears are mounting of a broader regional escalation with far-reaching humanitarian and economic consequences. - April 7, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington