World

Trump ceases Iran strikes for 2 weeks as diplomatic window opens

The US President signals shift from escalation to negotiation, tying a two-week pause in military action to conditions over the Strait of Hormuz and progress towards a broader peace deal

Updated 4 months ago · Published on 08 Apr 2026 8:19AM

Trump ceases Iran strikes for 2 weeks as diplomatic window opens
The pause in hostilities would be contingent upon Tehran agreeing to reopen the Strait of Hormuz fully, immediately and safely - April 8, 2026

U.S. President Donald Trump has announced a two-week suspension of planned military strikes against Iran, reframing a previously escalating standoff as an opportunity for negotiations and a potential ceasefire.

In a statement released by the White House on X, the US president said the pause in hostilities would be contingent upon Tehran agreeing to reopen the Strait of Hormuz fully, immediately and safely, a key condition underpinning the temporary de-escalation.

AFP cited on Wednesday that the decision follows discussions with Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and Pakistan’s army chief Asim Munir, who had urged Washington to delay military action.

Positioning the move as a reciprocal step, Trump said the pause would effectively function as a bilateral ceasefire, creating space for further engagement between Washington and Tehran.

"I have agreed to delay the bombing and attacks on Iran for a period of two weeks.

"This will be a bilateral ceasefire. The reason this action is taken is because we have already achieved and exceeded all military objectives.

"We are now at a stage that is very close to reaching a final agreement related to long-term peace with Iran, as well as peace in West Asia," he said.

Trump added that the United States had received a 10-point proposal from Iran, which he believes could form the basis for structured negotiations between the two sides.

"Almost all matters that were previously disputed have been agreed between the US and Iran, but this two-week period will allow the agreement to be finalised and signed.

"On behalf of the US, as President and also representing countries in West Asia, it is an honour to see this long-standing issue nearing resolution. Thank you for your attention to this matter," he said.

The announcement marks a notable shift from the previous day, when Trump warned of large-scale attacks targeting civilian power plants and bridges in Iran should Tehran fail to reach an agreement to end the six-week conflict. - April 8, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline