World

Turkiye school shooting: 14-year-old gunman kills nine in second such incident

Teen attacker in Kahramanmaras school massacre referenced Elliot Rodger online as authorities detain father and widen crackdown on online glorification of violence

Updated 4 months ago · Published on 16 Apr 2026 5:30PM

Turkiye school shooting: 14-year-old gunman kills nine in second such incident
Prosecutors say a document found on the attacker’s computer, dated April 11, suggested he had planned a major attack “in the near future” - April 16, 2026

A 14-YEAR-OLD student who killed at least nine people, including eight pupils, in a school shooting in southeastern Turkiye had used an image referencing 2014 U.S. mass killer Elliot Rodger on his WhatsApp profile, Turkish police said.

Reuters reported on Thursday that the attack, one of the country’s deadliest school shootings in recent years, also left 20 others injured in the incident on Wednesday in Kahramanmaras before the attacker took his own life.

It marked Turkiye’s second school shooting in just two days, shocking a nation where such incidents are rare.

In a statement, police said initial findings indicated no link to terrorism.

"Initial findings indicate no connection to terrorism, the incident is believed to be an individual attack," the statement said.

Authorities said the teenager had referenced Rodger, who carried out a 2014 killing spree near Santa Barbara, California, in which six university students were killed after he published a manifesto expressing grievances and was later cited by other mass attackers.

Investigators said it remained unclear whether the Turkish suspect shared similar motivations.

The attacker reportedly used five pistols belonging to his father, a police officer, in the assault. The local prosecutor’s office said the father had been detained and jailed pending trial.

In a separate statement, prosecutors said a document found on the attacker’s computer, dated April 11, suggested he had planned a major attack “in the near future”.

Following the shootings, Turkish authorities have launched a wider crackdown on online content deemed to glorify violence. Police said 83 people have been detained for “glorifying crime and criminals” since the attacks on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Authorities also said access had been blocked to 940 social media accounts and 93 Telegram groups as part of the enforcement action. - April 16, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident