World

Fragile Israel–Lebanon truce extended after deadly strikes as tensions and mistrust deepen

A US-brokered ceasefire has been prolonged by three weeks following a surge in violence, with Lebanon pressing for Israeli withdrawal

Updated 3 months ago · Published on 24 Apr 2026 8:29AM

Fragile Israel–Lebanon truce extended after deadly strikes as tensions and mistrust deepen
Hezbollah insists on its “right to resist”, exposing deep divisions despite diplomatic efforts - April 24, 2026

A PRECARIOUS ceasefire between Israel and Lebanon has been extended for a further three weeks after urgent talks in Washington, even as fresh bloodshed and entrenched positions cast doubt over prospects for lasting peace.

The extension was announced by US President Donald Trump following a second round of negotiations at the White House, where he hosted the countries’ ambassadors amid escalating violence in southern Lebanon, including strikes that killed at least five people, among them a journalist.

“The Meeting went very well! The United States is going to work with Lebanon in order to help it protect itself from Hezbollah,” Reuters cited Trump saying after the talks, signalling Washington’s intention to deepen its role in stabilising the fragile frontier.

The ceasefire, originally due to expire within days, has reduced large-scale hostilities but failed to halt clashes entirely. Israeli forces continue to operate within a self-declared buffer zone inside southern Lebanon, while intermittent strikes and retaliatory attacks persist.

Lebanon has set out clear conditions for the next phase of negotiations, including a full Israeli withdrawal, an end to demolitions and the release of Lebanese detainees, alongside formal discussions on delineating the contested land border.

At the same time, the Iran-aligned group Hezbollah has rejected direct engagement with Israel and reaffirmed its stance. Senior figure Hassan Fadlallah said the group supported extending the truce but only “on the basis of full compliance by the Israeli enemy”, reiterating its claim to “the right to resist” what it regards as occupation.

The group was not present at the Washington talks, underscoring the limits of state-to-state diplomacy in a conflict where non-state actors retain significant influence.

Trump expressed optimism that the pause in fighting could pave the way for a broader agreement, saying there was “a great chance” of a peace deal this year and indicating he hoped to convene Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Lebanese President Joseph Aoun for direct talks.

“I look forward in the near future to hosting the Prime Minister of Israel, Bibi Netanyahu, and the President of Lebanon, Joseph Aoun. It was a Great Honor to be a participant at this very Historic Meeting!” he said.

Lebanon’s ambassador to Washington, Nada Moawad, welcomed the extension and appealed for continued US backing. “I think with your help, with your support, we can make Lebanon great again,” she said.

Yet the diplomatic momentum has been overshadowed by violence on the ground. The past 48 hours have been among the deadliest since the ceasefire took hold, with Lebanese authorities reporting multiple casualties from air strikes and shelling.

Among the dead was journalist Amal Khalil, prompting public protests and vigils in Beirut.

Israel’s military said it had targeted individuals posing an immediate threat and maintained it does not deliberately strike journalists, adding that it was reviewing reports relating to the incident.

Hostilities reignited in early March when Hezbollah launched attacks in support of Iran during the wider regional conflict.

Since then, nearly 2,500 people have been killed in Lebanon, according to official figures, as Israel expanded operations aimed at pushing Hezbollah forces away from its northern border.

Israeli officials have insisted that maintaining a military presence several kilometres inside Lebanon is necessary to protect communities from rocket fire, while warning civilians not to enter the area.

Trump, meanwhile, suggested Washington could play a broader role in reshaping relations, even questioning Lebanon’s long-standing legal restrictions on engagement with Israel.

“It's a crime to talk with Israel?” he said. “Well, I'm pretty sure that that will be ended very quickly. I'll make sure of that.”

Despite the extension of the ceasefire, the gap between the parties remains wide, with sovereignty, security and the role of Hezbollah unresolved.

The coming weeks are likely to test whether diplomatic efforts can hold back a return to full-scale conflict or merely delay it. - April 24, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates