World

Trump speaks after apparent shooting disrupts correspondents’ dinner

US President describes the suspect as a possible “lone wolf” while praising law enforcement and signalling plans to reschedule the event within 30 days

Updated 3 months ago · Published on 26 Apr 2026 11:28AM

Trump speaks after apparent shooting disrupts correspondents’ dinner
Donald Trump says a White House Correspondents’ Dinner was interrupted by gunfire, prompting a security response and investigation - April 26, 2026

US President Donald Trump addressed reporters in the White House briefing room on Saturday after an apparent shooting incident disrupted the White House Correspondents’ Dinner, telling journalists that what unfolded was “very unexpected” as he appeared still wearing a tuxedo from the gala.

“The shooting suspect was identified as Cole Tomas Allen, 31, of Torrance, California, The Associated Press reported, citing two law enforcement officials,” he said, as he confirmed that FBI agents were searching the suspect’s home in California.

Suspect apprehended in shooting at White House Correspondents' Dinner  (Trump's Truth Social) 
Suspect apprehended in shooting at White House Correspondents' Dinner  (Trump's Truth Social) 

Trump said the evening had taken a sudden and chaotic turn and suggested a rescheduled event would be both improved and more secure.

“I see so many tuxedos and beautiful dresses,” he told the hastily assembled press corps. “It was a little different evening than we thought. But we’re going to do it again.”

The briefing room was described as tightly packed, with Trump flanked by senior figures including Vice-President JD Vance, First Lady Melania Trump, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, Pete Hegseth, Karoline Leavitt, Todd Blanche, Kash Patel and Markwayne Mullin.

Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche said an investigation was under way, while FBI Director Kash Patel confirmed officials would begin interviewing those present.

Trump said Secret Service agents had responded more effectively than during a previous assassination attempt in Butler, Pennsylvania.

“He was fast,” Trump said of the shooter.

Asked directly whether he believed he had been the target, Trump replied: “I guess,” adding, “When you’re impactful they go after you.”

He described the suspected attacker as a “lone wolf” and a “wack job”, saying: “It’s crazy and I want to live because I want to make this country great.”

Trump also reflected on the moment the incident began, saying he initially misinterpreted the sound.

“I thought it was a tray going down … It was a pretty loud noise and it was from quite far away,” he said. “He hadn’t reached the area.”

He added that he had been preparing to deliver a sharp speech before the disruption. “I was all set to let it rip,” he said, adding later, “I don’t know if I can ever be as rough as I was going to be tonight.”

Trump said one police officer had been shot during the incident and praised the response of security personnel.

“It was, in one way, very beautiful, a very beautiful thing to see a man charge a security checkpoint armed with multiple weapons, and he was taken down by some very brave members of secret service, and they acted very quickly.”

He said he had been studying assassinations and argued that prominent figures were often targeted.

“The people who make the biggest impact, those are the ones they go after,” he said.

Discussing broader concerns about political violence, Trump acknowledged the risks associated with public office.

“It’s a dangerous profession,” he said. “The job of president was statistically more dangerous than being a race car driver or a bullfighter.”

He added: “If Marco would have told me, maybe I wouldn’t have run,” referencing Marco Rubio, one of his former 2016 Republican primary rivals.

Trump also criticised the venue where the dinner was held, describing it as insufficiently secure, and argued for enhanced White House facilities.

“This is why we have to have all of the attributes of what we’re planning at the White House. It’s actually a larger room, and it’s much more secure,” he said, referring to a proposed ballroom project.

“They’ve wanted the ballroom for 150 years for lots of different reasons. But today’s a little bit different, because today we need levels of security that probably nobody’s ever seen before.”

He added that he assumed he had been the intended target.

“They seem to think he was a lone wolf,” Trump said, confirming that investigators were searching the suspect’s apartment in California.

Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche said the episode showed both the worst and best of the moment.

“You saw the very worst by the actions of that coward that the president just talked about, but you also saw the very best because you saw law enforcement do exactly what they’re supposed to do,” he said.

FBI Director Kash Patel pledged accountability as the investigation continued.

Trump concluded by promising the Correspondents’ Dinner would be held again within a month.

“There will be another dinner ‘within the next 30 days and we’ll make it better and even nicer’,” he said. - April 26, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran