World

White House gala shooting triggers urgent review of presidential security perimeter

The shooting prompts a reassessment of security protocols, with officials warning that protective perimeters may need to be expanded and inter-agency coordination strengthened

Updated 3 months ago · Published on 27 Apr 2026 2:14PM

White House gala shooting triggers urgent review of presidential security perimeter
Experts say the most immediate lesson from the incident is the need to widen the protective perimeter around the president at large public venues - April 27, 2026

UNITED STATES law enforcement agencies are reviewing security arrangements for presidential events after a gunman opened fire near a major Washington gala attended by President Donald Trump, raising concerns over how the suspect was able to approach the venue.

Reuters cited officials saying on Monday that federal agents ultimately succeeded in preventing the attacker from reaching the main event area at the Washington Hilton, where Trump had been scheduled to speak, but acknowledged that the incident exposed vulnerabilities in existing security measures.

Despite the response, some attendees reported hearing gunfire, underscoring lingering risks even after heightened protections were introduced following earlier assassination attempts during the 2024 campaign.

Security experts and former agents said the most immediate lesson from the incident is the need to widen the protective perimeter around the president at large public venues, even if it causes disruption.

Officials noted that security zones at Trump’s campaign rallies are typically far more extensive than those in place during Saturday’s event, where access to the hotel required only a ticket, while tighter screening with metal detectors was limited to the ballroom itself.

Investigators believe the suspect, described as a man from California, may have bypassed security layers by checking into the hotel days before the event, allowing him to move within the premises without undergoing the same level of scrutiny as guests.

Bill Gage, a former member of the Secret Service Counter Assault Team, said post-incident reviews would likely focus on pushing screening points further from the main venue.

“The Secret Service is going to have to find a way to better secure large hotels that may inconvenience the hotel goers and the hotel,” he said, adding that evacuation procedures for senior officials would also require improvement.

The response to the shooting highlighted coordination challenges among multiple agencies responsible for protecting different high-profile individuals.

While Trump was escorted from the stage within seconds of the final shots, other senior officials took significantly longer to exit, reflecting what some described as fragmented responses.

Don Mihalek, a former senior Secret Service agent, said the scale and layout of venues such as the Washington Hilton have long posed operational challenges.

“I’m sure the service is going to go back and re-look at the set-up there, and probably push out the perimeter some more now, because of what happened,” he said.

Trump himself later questioned the suitability of the venue, describing it as “not a particularly secure building.”

The incident has revived scrutiny of past security lapses, including a 2024 campaign rally in Pennsylvania where a gunman managed to gain a clear line of sight to the then-candidate.

Further criticism emerged from an unexpected source, with the alleged attacker reportedly commenting on perceived weaknesses in security in a manifesto.

“Like, I expected security cameras at every bend, bugged hotel rooms, armed agents every 10 feet, metal detectors out the wazoo,” the California man wrote. “What I got (who knows, maybe they're pranking me!) is nothing.”

The shooting has also reignited political debate over long-term security infrastructure, including proposals to construct a dedicated ballroom within White House grounds to host large events under tighter control.

Officials indicated that a comprehensive review of security arrangements for the president and cabinet members is now under way, with potential adjustments expected as authorities seek to prevent similar breaches in the future. - April 27, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran