World

Iran warns US forces away from Strait of Hormuz as tensions escalate in the Gulf

Iran has issued a stark warning to US forces to stay clear of the strategic waterway, raising fears of further escalation in one of the world’s most critical shipping lanes

Updated 3 months ago · Published on 04 May 2026 5:26PM

Iran warns US forces away from Strait of Hormuz as tensions escalate in the Gulf
THE United States says it will assist vessels stranded in the Strait of Hormuz amid the ongoing Iran-Israel conflict - May 4, 2026

TENSIONS have sharply escalated in the Gulf after Iran’s military warned United States forces on Monday not to enter the Strait of Hormuz, following an announcement by President Donald Trump that Washington would begin assisting vessels stranded in the vital shipping corridor.

Trump said the United States would help “guide” ships and their crews trapped in the waterway, which he described as being “locked up” amid the ongoing Iran-Israel conflict. However, he provided few operational details.

“We have told these Countries that we will guide their Ships safely out of these restricted Waterways, so that they can freely and ably get on with their business,” Reuters cited Trump saying in a post on his Truth Social platform on Sunday.

In response, Iran’s armed forces issued a strong warning, asserting control over the strategic strait and cautioning against foreign military involvement.

Its unified command said Iranian forces would “respond harshly” to any perceived threat, warning commercial shipping and oil tankers against movement without coordination with Iranian authorities.

“We have repeatedly said the security of the Strait of Hormuz is in our hands and that the safe passage of vessels needs to be coordinated with the armed forces,” said Ali Abdollahi, head of the forces’ unified command.

“We warn that any foreign armed forces, especially the aggressive U.S. army, will be attacked if they ⁠intend to approach and enter the Strait of Hormuz,” the statement added.

The Strait of Hormuz, a critical global energy route, has been heavily disrupted for more than two months, with hundreds of ships and as many as 20,000 seafarers reportedly unable to transit, according to the International Maritime Organization.

The U.S. military has moved to support the operation, with United States Central Command (CENTCOM) confirming the deployment of around 15,000 personnel, more than 100 aircraft, warships and drones.

“Our support for this defensive mission is essential ⁠to regional security and the global economy as we also maintain the naval blockade,” Admiral Brad Cooper, CENTCOM commander, said in a statement.

Soon after Trump’s announcement, the United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations agency reported that a tanker had been struck by unidentified projectiles in the Strait of Hormuz, 78 nautical miles north of Fujairah in the United Arab Emirates. Authorities said all crew were safe, though details remain limited.

Iran has been restricting most foreign shipping through the Gulf for more than two months, apart from Iranian vessels, contributing to a surge in global energy prices. Several ships have reportedly come under fire, while others have been seized.

Last month, the United States imposed its own blockade on vessels departing Iranian ports.

The Trump administration has been seeking international support to form a coalition to secure maritime traffic in the region. Officials said the latest initiative would combine diplomatic engagement with military coordination, though it remains unclear which countries will participate or how escort operations would function.

Trump also warned that any interference with the operation would be met with force.

Separately, diplomatic tensions remain high over Iran’s nuclear programme and stalled negotiations. Iran said it had received a response from Washington regarding its latest peace proposal, delivered via Pakistan, though neither the United States nor Pakistan has confirmed this.

State media quoted Iran’s foreign ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei as saying: “At this stage, we do not have nuclear negotiations.”

Iran has proposed delaying nuclear discussions until after the conflict ends, alongside demands for the lifting of sanctions, release of frozen assets, and withdrawal of US forces from the region. Washington, however, has insisted Tehran must first accept strict limits on its nuclear programme, including surrendering enriched uranium stockpiles it says could be used for weapons development.

While Trump has maintained he is “in no hurry”, he faces domestic pressure as disruption in the Strait of Hormuz continues to affect global oil flows and drive up energy prices, with the waterway accounting for around 20 per cent of global oil and gas shipments.

Talks between the two sides have stalled despite earlier contacts, and no further meetings have been scheduled following an initial round of discussions weeks ago. - May 4, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen