World

Iran claims Hormuz Strait strike on US destroyers as Washington insists no damage sustained

Iran confirms launching missile and drone attacks against American naval destroyers near the Strait of Hormuz

Updated 3 months ago · Published on 08 May 2026 12:50PM

Iran claims Hormuz Strait strike on US destroyers as Washington insists no damage sustained
The recent attack sharply escalates tensions in the Gulf despite an existing ceasefire, while the United States insists its warships emerged unscathed and remain operational (Photo from AFP) - May 8, 2026

IRAN has formally acknowledged carrying out missile and drone strikes against United States naval destroyers near the Strait of Hormuz, in a dramatic escalation of military tensions around one of the world’s most critical maritime trade corridors.

In a statement carried by Iranian media, the naval arm of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) said the operation was launched in response to what Tehran described as a violation of the ceasefire agreement by the United States following alleged attacks on an Iranian oil tanker near the port of Jask and the movement of American destroyers towards the strategic waterway.

According to the IRGC, Iranian forces conducted a “large-scale and precise combined operation” involving ballistic missiles, anti-ship cruise missiles and explosive-laden drones targeting U.S. naval vessels operating near the strait.

Iranian authorities further claimed intelligence assessments indicated the American destroyers had suffered “significant damage”, adding that three U.S. warships were forced to withdraw from the Strait of Hormuz area.

Earlier, Iranian media outlets reported that naval forces had launched coordinated missile and drone attacks against three American destroyers after what Tehran alleged was a U.S. strike on an Iranian oil tanker.

The semi-official Tasnim News Agency reported that the vessels were retreating towards the Gulf of Oman, while state broadcaster IRIB claimed the targeted “enemy units” had sustained damage and withdrawn from the confrontation zone.

The United States, however, strongly rejected those assertions.

US President Donald Trump said the three American Navy destroyers had successfully navigated through the Strait of Hormuz “under fire” without sustaining any direct damage from Iranian attacks.

“Three world-class American destroyers just transited the Strait of Hormuz very successfully, under fire,” Trump wrote on Truth Social.

“There was no damage to any of the three destroyers, but tremendous damage was inflicted on the Iranian attackers. They were completely destroyed along with several small boats,” he added.

Trump further said the destroyers and their crews would now rejoin what he described as America’s naval blockade operations in the strategically vital maritime corridor.

“Our three destroyers, along with their great crews, will now rejoin our blockade, which truly is a ‘steel wall’,” he said.

The U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) earlier confirmed that American forces intercepted what it called an “unprovoked” Iranian attack and responded with what it described as defensive military action while the warships were transiting the Strait of Hormuz en route to the Gulf of Oman on Thursday.

CENTCOM stated that no American assets had been struck during the confrontation.

“U.S. Central Command destroyed incoming threats and targeted Iranian military facilities responsible for attacking U.S. forces, including missile and drone launch sites, command-and-control locations, and intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance nodes,” the command said in a statement.

The latest naval confrontation has intensified fears of broader instability across the Gulf region, particularly as the Strait of Hormuz remains a crucial artery for global oil and liquefied natural gas shipments.

Markets and governments worldwide continue to monitor developments closely amid concerns that sustained hostilities could further disrupt international energy supplies and heighten geopolitical tensions across the Middle East. - May 8, 2026

Iran, United States, Strait of Hormuz, Donald Trump, IRGC, CENTCOM, Gulf Security, Middle East Conflict, Naval Clash, Global Oil Routes

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation