World

Trump’s need to counter advanced strategic threats to cost US$1.2 trillion - CBO

The proposed “Golden Dome” missile defence system could cost as much as US$1.2 trillion over two decades underscoring the scale of ambition behind the space-based defence project

Updated 3 months ago · Published on 13 May 2026 11:04AM

Trump’s need to counter advanced strategic threats to cost US$1.2 trillion - CBO
US congressional report estimates Trump’s ‘Golden Dome’ missile shield could cost up to US$1.2 trillion over 20 years (Photo from Reuters) - May 13, 2026

US President Donald Trump’s proposed “Golden Dome” missile defence system could cost an estimated US$1.2 trillion over 20 years, according to a new analysis by the US Congressional Budget Office (CBO), highlighting a dramatic increase from earlier projections.

The figure is significantly higher than initial estimates of about US$175 billion announced last year, underscoring the growing financial implications of the proposed next-generation defence shield.

AFP, on Wednesday, cited that the CBO report, described as a neutral assessment offering an illustrative framework rather than a definitive cost projection for any specific administration proposal, was published on Tuesday.

The futuristic defence system was ordered by Trump through an executive directive during the first week of his second presidential term, reflecting what he has described as the need to counter increasingly advanced strategic threats.

“In the past 40 years, the threat from new-generation strategic weapons has not diminished but has instead become more serious and complex due to the development of advanced delivery systems by near-peer and peer adversaries,” Trump said in the executive order outlining the rationale for the system.

He has previously said the system is expected to be fully operational before the end of his term in January 2029.

The concept draws partial inspiration from Israel’s layered missile defence architecture, commonly referred to as the “Iron Dome”, which has played a central role in intercepting rocket and missile attacks in regional conflicts.

The proposed “Golden Dome” system would integrate both ground-based and space-based capabilities designed to detect, intercept and destroy incoming missiles across all phases of a potential attack trajectory.

The US Congress has already approved approximately US$24 billion for missile defence initiatives as part of a broader Republican-led tax and spending package signed into law last summer.

According to the CBO, more than US$1 trillion of the estimated total cost would be allocated to procurement, including key system components such as interceptor layers and space-based early warning and tracking systems.

“The most expensive component is the space-based interceptor layer, which accounts for about 70 per cent of procurement costs and around 60 per cent of total system costs,” the report said.

Annual operations and support costs are estimated at an average of US$8.3 billion.

In May 2025, Trump announced an initial allocation of US$25 billion for the project, at the time suggesting a total programme cost of around US$175 billion.

However, the CBO noted in the same month that the cost of deploying space-based interceptors alone to counter a limited number of intercontinental ballistic missiles could range between US$161 billion and US$542 billion over 20 years, depending on system design and deployment scale.

The latest estimates underscore the vast scale and long-term financial commitment required for the project, which remains one of the most ambitious missile defence proposals in US history. - May 13, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington