World

White House shooting suspect gunned down after opening fire near security checkpoint

Two bystanders were wounded and a suspected gunman was shot by officers after opening fire near a White House security checkpoint

Updated 2 months ago · Published on 24 May 2026 9:10AM

White House shooting suspect gunned down after opening fire near security checkpoint
President Donald Trump was inside the presidential complex during high-stakes negotiations over Iran - May 24, 2026

ARMED officers guarding the White House shot and wounded a suspected gunman after he allegedly opened fire near a security checkpoint on the evening of May 23, triggering a major security lockdown around the presidential complex while President Donald Trump was inside.

According to a law enforcement official quoted by Reuters, the suspect approached a checkpoint at the intersection of 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue before drawing a handgun and firing at officers. Authorities confirmed the individual never breached the White House security perimeter.

The suspect, described by officials as an emotionally disturbed person, had reportedly been pacing along the street for some time before opening fire. A prior “stay-away order” had previously been issued against him, the official added.

Officers returned fire, bringing the suspect down before he was transported to George Washington Hospital. Authorities did not disclose the extent of his injuries or specify how he was subdued.

Two bystanders were also struck during the exchange of gunfire.

The shooting prompted a rapid and overwhelming security response across central Washington, with police, Secret Service personnel and National Guard troops flooding the area and sealing off streets surrounding the White House.

The FBI confirmed it had joined the investigation.

“FBI is on the scene and supporting Secret Service responding to shots fired near White House grounds,” FBI Director Kash Patel wrote on social media platform X.

Journalists and tourists near the White House described scenes of panic as gunfire erupted.

Canadian tourist Reid Adrian told AFP: “We heard probably 20 to 25 what sounded like fireworks, but they’re gunshots, and then everyone started running.”

Members of the media stationed on the White House North Lawn said security officers ordered them to run for shelter inside the press briefing room as shots rang out nearby.

ABC News correspondent Selina Wang was recording a social media video when the gunfire began, capturing the sound of rapid shots before diving to the ground.

“It sounded like dozens of gunshots,” she wrote on X.

Trump was reportedly inside the White House at the time as his administration continued negotiations over a potential agreement with Iran.

The incident has renewed concerns over political violence in the United States, particularly surrounding Trump, who has survived multiple alleged assassination attempts in recent years.

In July 2024, Trump was wounded in the ear during a campaign rally in Butler, Pennsylvania, after a gunman opened fire, killing one audience member.

Months later, another armed suspect was arrested near Trump’s golf course in West Palm Beach while the president was playing there.

A further security scare occurred on April 25 when an armed individual reportedly stormed a checkpoint near a ballroom hosting a media gala attended by Trump.

Following Friday’s shooting, House Republicans posted a message on X praising the response by security forces.

“Thank God President Trump is safe,” the statement read.

“Endless gratitude to the Secret Service for their immediate, heroic response. Political violence has to stop.” - May 24, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington