World

Trump claims Iran peace framework near completion as diplomatic push focuses on reopening Hormuz Strait

The United States President says a preliminary peace framework with Iran has been “largely negotiated”, raising hopes of an end to months of conflict in the Middle East

Updated 2 months ago · Published on 24 May 2026 9:57AM

Trump claims Iran peace framework near completion as diplomatic push focuses on reopening Hormuz Strait
Details on an agreement with Iran will be announced soon and deal would include reopening Strait of Hormuz, Trump says - May 24, 2026

A POTENTIAL breakthrough in the escalating conflict between the United States and Iran appeared closer on Saturday after President Donald Trump declared that a memorandum of understanding aimed at ending the war had been “largely negotiated”.

The emerging framework centres heavily on reopening the Strait of Hormuz, the strategic maritime passage whose closure severely disrupted global energy markets after fighting erupted in February following coordinated American and Israeli strikes on Iran.

Trump announced the development on his Truth Social platform, saying the final details of the agreement were still under discussion.

“Final aspects and details of the Deal are currently being discussed, and will be announced shortly,” Reuters cited him writing.

However, uncertainty continued to surround the scope and durability of any agreement, with Iran’s Fars news agency later reporting that Tehran would retain control over management of the Strait of Hormuz and dismissing Trump’s assertion that a final understanding was imminent as “inconsistent with reality”.

Diplomatic momentum intensified after senior Iranian officials met Pakistan’s army chief, General Asim Munir, in Tehran as Islamabad sought to broker a path towards ending weeks of military confrontation.

Pakistan’s military described the talks as producing “encouraging” progress towards a final settlement, while sources involved in the negotiations told Reuters the proposed framework was “fairly comprehensive to terminate the war”.

According to sources familiar with the discussions, the agreement under negotiation would proceed in three phases beginning with a formal end to hostilities, followed by measures to resolve the crisis surrounding the Strait of Hormuz and a subsequent 30-day negotiation period aimed at securing a broader long-term accord.

Earlier on Saturday, Trump signalled that military escalation remained an option if diplomacy collapsed.

“Either we reach a good deal or I’ll blow them to a thousand hells,” Axios quoted the president as saying.

One Pakistani source cautioned that there was still no guarantee Washington would formally accept the memorandum, although approval could pave the way for more extensive talks after the Eid holiday.

The war has increasingly weighed on Trump politically, particularly as higher energy prices fuel domestic economic concerns in the United States.

Trump reportedly cancelled plans to attend his son’s wedding this weekend in order to remain in Washington as negotiations intensified.

The president also revealed he had spoken by telephone with leaders from Saudi Arabia, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, Jordan, Egypt, Turkey and Pakistan, with several regional leaders reportedly encouraging Washington to support the emerging diplomatic framework.

Pakistan has played a growing mediating role in recent weeks as regional powers seek to stabilise the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most critical energy shipping routes.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio reiterated Washington’s key conditions for ending the conflict during a visit to India.

“Iran can never have a nuclear weapon. The straits need to be open without tolls. They need to turn over their enriched uranium,” Rubio said.

He added that diplomatic efforts remained active.

“Even as I speak to you now, there’s some work being done. There is a chance that, whether it’s later today, tomorrow, in a couple days, we may have something to say,” he told reporters in New Delhi.

Vice-President JD Vance also returned unexpectedly to the White House on Saturday after cutting short a trip to Ohio amid the escalating diplomatic activity.

Iran has consistently denied pursuing nuclear weapons, insisting its uranium enrichment programme is intended solely for civilian purposes.

Tehran has meanwhile demanded an end to the US blockade on Iranian ports, the lifting of sanctions on oil exports and guarantees against future American military action.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei acknowledged that tensions had eased slightly in recent days but said major issues remained unresolved.

“The trend this week has been towards a reduction in disputes, but there are still issues that need to be discussed through mediators. We will have to wait and see where the situation ends in the next three or four days,” he said.

Baghaei stressed that Iran’s immediate priorities included ending the threat of renewed American attacks and halting the conflict in Lebanon involving Hezbollah and Israeli forces.

Following meetings in Tehran with parliamentary speaker Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf and Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi, Pakistan’s army chief departed Iran on Saturday after discussions aimed at sustaining the fragile ceasefire momentum.

Qalibaf insisted Iran would continue defending its “legitimate rights” through both diplomacy and military preparedness while accusing Washington of bad faith.

He warned that if the United States “foolishly restarts the war”, the consequences would be “more forceful and bitter” than during the initial phase of the conflict.

Despite months of fighting and repeated strikes, Iran is believed to have preserved significant strategic capabilities, including stockpiles of highly enriched uranium as well as missile, drone and proxy warfare assets. - May 24, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline