World

Gulf conflict reignites as missile attacks strike Kuwait, diplomatic breakthrough remains elusive

Renewed military exchanges, continuing instability around the Strait of Hormuz and mounting humanitarian and economic consequences across the region escalate

Updated 2 months ago · Published on 03 Jun 2026 8:27AM

Gulf conflict reignites as missile attacks strike Kuwait, diplomatic breakthrough remains elusive
Fresh missile and drone attacks in the Gulf have underscored the fragility of efforts to end the Iran-United States conflict (Photo from X/IRNA News Agency) - June 3, 2026

HOPES of a diplomatic breakthrough in the Iran-United States conflict suffered a fresh setback on Wednesday as missile and drone attacks targeted Kuwait, highlighting the precarious security situation across the Gulf despite ongoing claims of negotiations between Washington and Tehran.

Reuters reported on Wednesday, Kuwait's military saying its air defence systems were actively intercepting hostile missiles and drones, while neighbouring Bahrain activated warning sirens and urged residents to seek immediate shelter.

The latest escalation came as reports emerged of explosions near Qeshm Island, a strategically located Iranian territory close to the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world's most critical maritime trade routes.

The United States separately reported engaging a tanker heading towards Iran, further illustrating the volatile security environment that continues to threaten regional stability and international shipping.

More than three months after the United States and Israel launched military strikes against Iran, the conflict remains deadlocked. Although both Tehran and Washington announced last week that they had reached a tentative framework agreement aimed at ending hostilities, no formal accord has been concluded.

The uncertainty has fuelled concerns that any progress towards a durable ceasefire could quickly unravel amid recurring military confrontations.

Iranian media reported that direct communication between Tehran and Washington had stalled in recent days. However, U.S. President Donald Trump insisted that dialogue remains active.

"The conversations between us have been going on continuously, including four days ago, three days ago, two days ago, one day ago, and today," he said in a social media post.

Nuclear Talks Remain Major Sticking Point

At the centre of the negotiations is the future of Iran's nuclear programme, an issue that continues to divide the two sides despite repeated claims that a settlement is within reach.

Trump has consistently maintained that preventing Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons remains Washington's overriding objective. Tehran, meanwhile, continues to deny pursuing a nuclear bomb, insisting that its atomic activities are intended solely for peaceful civilian purposes.

Iran is reportedly seeking access to billions of dollars in frozen oil revenues, relief from restrictions on crude exports, an end to U.S. pressure on its ports and the preservation of strategic influence over the Strait of Hormuz.

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio told lawmakers that sanctions relief would only be considered if Iran agreed to abandon its nuclear activities.

During a tense exchange with Senator Cory Booker, Rubio asserted, "The war is over," a claim that was immediately challenged by the Democratic lawmaker.

Lebanon Front Remains Active Despite Ceasefire

While negotiations continue, military operations have persisted elsewhere in the region, particularly in Lebanon, where tensions between Israel and Hezbollah remain high.

The wider conflict, which erupted on February 28, has claimed thousands of lives, predominantly in Iran and Lebanon, while triggering significant disruption to global energy markets. The effective closure of the Strait of Hormuz has driven up transport and energy costs worldwide, affecting supplies of oil and liquefied natural gas.

The crisis has also reignited hostilities between Israel and Hezbollah, prompting Israel's deepest military incursion into Lebanon in a quarter of a century.

Lebanese security sources reported that Israeli forces carried out strikes on several towns in southern Lebanon on Tuesday despite a partial ceasefire brokered by the United States earlier this week.

The ceasefire announcement has done little to reassure civilians. Approximately 1.2 million people have been displaced by the fighting, while continued Israeli drone activity over Beirut has heightened public anxiety.

"Every time we return to our homes, there is a warning for us to be displaced again," said Faten Al Chehime, who fled to a displacement camp after returning to her home in Beirut's southern suburbs only two weeks earlier.

Global Supply Chains Feel The Impact

The repercussions of the conflict are increasingly being felt beyond the battlefield.

Shipping giant, MSC Mediterranean Shipping Company, reported that one of its vessels was struck by two projectiles while docked at Iraq's Umm Qasr port on Monday.

Iran's Revolutionary Guards claimed responsibility, describing the strike as retaliation for a reported U.S. attack on an Iranian vessel in the Gulf of Oman.

The wider humanitarian consequences were highlighted by UNICEF which warned that soaring transport costs and supply chain disruptions are hindering the delivery of life-saving assistance to vulnerable populations in Gaza, Lebanon, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Mali, Somalia, South Sudan, Nigeria and other crisis-hit regions.

With military incidents continuing across multiple fronts and negotiations yet to produce a binding agreement, fears are growing that the Gulf conflict could enter a prolonged phase of instability despite repeated declarations that peace remains within reach. - June 3, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen