World

Trump claims Iran’s missile stockpiles depleted as Gulf tensions continue to simmer

Military exchanges and competing claims of attacks in the Gulf region continue to fuel uncertainty despite an ongoing ceasefire

Updated 2 months ago · Published on 06 Jun 2026 9:15AM

Trump claims Iran’s missile stockpiles depleted as Gulf tensions continue to simmer
US President Donald Trump asserted that Iran’s missile arsenal has been significantly reduced following months of regional hostilities - June 6, 2026

US President Donald Trump has claimed that Iran’s missile stockpiles have been substantially depleted, estimating that Tehran now retains only around 21 to 22 per cent of its pre-war arsenal.

The remarks come amid continued regional tensions despite a nominal ceasefire, with Iran having recently launched multiple attacks towards neighbouring states in incidents that have kept security conditions volatile across the Gulf.

Speaking in an interview with NBC News, Trump said Iran continues to retain limited military capability, including drones, although he maintained that its missile capacity had been heavily reduced.

“They have some missiles, they have some drones. I would say, percentage wise, maybe 21, 22 percent of their missiles,” AFP quoted Trump saying.

His latest estimate marks a slight upward revision from a previous statement in May, when he suggested that Iran retained only around 18 per cent of its missile stockpile, underscoring shifting assessments from the US administration regarding Tehran’s remaining military strength.

Trump had previously repeatedly claimed that Iran’s military capabilities had been entirely destroyed during earlier phases of the conflict, comments that now appear to have been moderated in light of continuing Iranian activity in the region.

Meanwhile, Iran’s military has alleged that it fired “warning missiles” towards two United States destroyers operating in the Gulf of Oman, a claim that was swiftly rejected by the US military.

The conflicting accounts highlight the continuing lack of trust between both sides and the persistent risk of escalation in waters that remain strategically vital to global energy supplies and maritime trade.

Adding to the uncertainty, Kuwait said it had intercepted 30 ballistic missiles two days prior, which it described as part of what it called “heinous Iranian aggression”.

The series of incidents has raised further concerns over the stability of the fragile ceasefire arrangement, which has already been tested by repeated allegations of cross-border attacks and military provocations.

Although the truce remains formally in place, the latest developments underline the continuing volatility in the Gulf region, where even isolated incidents risk triggering wider confrontation between Iran, its neighbours and United States forces operating in the area. - June 6, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident