World

Trump moves to prevent Israel-Iran escalation as missile exchange threatens fragile peace talks

Attacks jeopardise delicate negotiations aimed at ending months of hostilities and reopening critical Middle East trade routes

Updated 2 months ago · Published on 08 Jun 2026 9:23AM

Trump moves to prevent Israel-Iran escalation as missile exchange threatens fragile peace talks
The United States President intervenes to discourage further military escalation between Israel and Iran after a fresh exchange of strikes raised fears of a broader regional conflict (File pic) - June 8, 2026

US President Donald Trump has stepped up efforts to prevent a new escalation in the Middle East after Iran launched missile attacks against Israel in response to Israeli air strikes near Beirut, a development that threatens to derail ongoing diplomatic negotiations between Washington and Tehran.

According to reports, Trump told Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu that further retaliation was unnecessary following the latest exchange of attacks, warning that additional military action could undermine a peace agreement that both sides are reportedly close to finalising.

“Israel had its strike and Iran had its strike. We don't need another one,” Reuters quoted Trump saying.

“We are very close to a final deal with Iran. It is going to be a good deal. I don’t want it to blow up because of what is happening now.”

The remarks came after Israel launched strikes on the outskirts of Beirut, marking the first major attack in the area since the United States unveiled a ceasefire framework for Lebanon last week.

Iran responded by firing a volley of missiles towards Israeli targets, including the Ramat David Air Base near Nazareth, according to Iran's Revolutionary Guards.

The Israeli military confirmed missile launches from Iran and said its air defence systems successfully intercepted the incoming projectiles.

The latest confrontation has raised concerns that diplomatic efforts to secure a broader settlement between Washington and Tehran could be at risk, particularly as Lebanon remains a central issue in negotiations.

Iran has consistently maintained that any peace agreement with the United States must include a durable ceasefire in Lebanon, where Israeli forces launched military operations in March against Hezbollah, the Iran-backed movement that had carried out cross-border attacks in support of Tehran.

A senior Israeli official confirmed that Trump and Netanyahu held a telephone conversation lasting nearly half an hour, although details of the discussion were not disclosed.

Despite Trump's public appeal for restraint, Israeli sources indicated that retaliation against Iran remained under consideration.

Shortly after midnight local time, the Israeli military quoted Chief of Staff Lieutenant General Eyal Zamir as saying no order had yet been issued to attack Iran, but stressed that Israeli forces would act decisively if directed to do so.

The exchange of fire underscores the increasingly fragile nature of regional diplomacy, with Israel continuing military operations against Hezbollah even as negotiations between Washington and Tehran progress.

Israeli officials have repeatedly argued that their campaign in Lebanon should be treated separately from discussions concerning Iran, while Tehran insists the two issues are inseparable.

Iranian Parliamentary Speaker Mohammed Baqer Qalibaf, who is closely involved in negotiations, defended Tehran's response and accused Israel of undermining efforts to preserve stability in Lebanon.

He said American military installations and Israeli interests remained legitimate targets because of hostile actions, including what he described as the “violation of agreements over Lebanon.”

Prior to Sunday's missile barrage, Iran had refrained from directly targeting Israel since a broader ceasefire came into effect in April, although Hezbollah continued periodic attacks across the border.

The current crisis unfolds against the backdrop of a wider regional conflict that has effectively reached a stalemate since the United States and Israel suspended military operations against Iran earlier this year.

Nevertheless, tensions have remained elevated due to continued disruptions in the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world's most strategically important maritime corridors for oil and gas exports.

While both Washington and Tehran have signalled that negotiations are nearing a preliminary agreement that could restore commercial shipping through the waterway, intermittent military confrontations continue to threaten progress.

Trump has repeatedly expressed confidence that a breakthrough remains within reach while simultaneously warning Tehran of severe consequences should diplomacy fail.

“We're very close to a deal, or I'm going to blow the hell out of them,” Trump said during a televised interview marking 100 days of the conflict.

At the centre of the negotiations are longstanding disputes over Iran's nuclear programme, sanctions relief and regional influence.

The United States has insisted that any agreement must permanently prevent Iran from developing a nuclear weapon, while Tehran is seeking the removal of international sanctions, recognition of its strategic interests in the Gulf and access to billions of dollars in frozen assets.

Adding to the tension, reports emerged that Washington is considering allowing some Iranian assets to be used by Gulf states to fund reconstruction efforts for damage caused during the conflict.

Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi rejected the proposal, warning that any attempt to redirect Iranian assets would be unlawful and would provoke a response from Tehran.

Meanwhile, Netanyahu faces growing political scrutiny at home, with opposition figures criticising recent ceasefire arrangements in Lebanon ahead of national elections expected later this year.

As diplomatic efforts continue, regional and international observers warn that the latest exchange of strikes demonstrates how quickly progress towards peace could unravel, with a single military incident capable of reigniting a wider conflict across the Middle East. - June 8, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut