World

Southern Philippines quake kills at least 19, triggering minor tsunami waves (video)

Authorities warn of prolonged aftershocks as search and rescue operations continue across devastated southern provinces

Updated 2 months ago · Published on 08 Jun 2026 5:56PM

Southern Philippines quake kills at least 19, triggering minor tsunami waves (video)
A powerful offshore earthquake off Mindanao has killed at least 19 people, injured more than 200, and triggered tsunami waves before warnings were lifted (Photo from Reuters)- June 8, 2026

THE powerful offshore magnitude 7.8 earthquake which struck the southern Philippines has killed at least 19 people, injuring more than 200 others, and causing widespread destruction across Mindanao, where collapsing buildings, landslides, and tsunami waves have left thousands displaced.

The quake, which struck at 7.37 am local time, was centred off Mindanao at a depth of around 33 kilometres, approximately 32 kilometres southwest of Maasim town in Sarangani province, according to the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology.

Authorities confirmed that the tsunami warning was lifted at 3.19 pm local time after only minor sea level disturbances were recorded, with the highest wave reaching 1.48 metres. Officials said the wave was not sufficient to cause significant coastal damage.

However, seismologists warned that the region remains at risk from prolonged aftershocks. By early afternoon, 218 aftershocks had already been recorded, including one measuring magnitude 6.7, with experts cautioning that seismic activity could continue for days, weeks or even months.

“It’s a major earthquake,” said Teresito Bacolcol, urging residents to avoid damaged structures due to the ongoing risk of aftershocks.

He noted that the quake originated from the Cotabato Trench, an area responsible for one of the deadliest earthquakes in Philippine history: the magnitude 8.1 event in 1976 that killed around 8,000 people.

“Our pickup truck suddenly jerked, and I thought we had a flat tyre,” said Rod Sosmeña, describing the moment the quake struck while travelling in the hard-hit port city of General Santos.

“The shaking was very strong, and people dashed out of houses into the streets,” he added.

Another official, Ednar Dayanghirang, said he struggled to remain standing as the ground violently shook while leaving his home in Davao.

Authorities said the quake was the strongest to hit the country so far this year, sending shockwaves through densely populated southern regions.

The city of General Santos, a key economic hub with more than 700,000 residents and a major centre for the tuna export industry, suffered some of the worst damage, with multiple buildings collapsing or being severely damaged, including small commercial establishments.

Officials confirmed that at least seven of the fatalities occurred in General Santos, while other deaths were reported across Sarangani, South Cotabato, Davao Occidental and Balut Island, largely due to falling debris, landslides and structural failures.

AP reported that search and rescue operations are continuing, with reports that some students may be trapped inside a collapsed two-storey school building in General Santos. Police sources said at least 12 people remain missing in the city.

The Bureau of Fire Protection has been deployed to assist in rescue operations at damaged buildings and warehouses, while authorities continue to assess the full extent of destruction.

President Ferdinand Marcos Jr ordered the suspension of classes nationwide and directed all disaster-response agencies to prioritise emergency response efforts.

“The national government is moving, and we will not leave Mindanao behind,” he said.

Public schools, which had only recently reopened after the summer break, were among the worst affected, with more than 100 students reportedly sustaining minor injuries or fainting during morning assemblies as panic spread.

Transport infrastructure was also disrupted, with General Santos International Airport temporarily closed and 17 domestic flights cancelled while safety checks were carried out.

Tsunami waves of around one metre were recorded in some coastal areas, with smaller disturbances detected as far away as Indonesia, Palau and southern Japan. The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre later confirmed the threat had passed, and Philippine authorities subsequently lifted all tsunami alerts.

In coastal Zamboanga del Sur, six stilt houses were damaged by waves and strong shaking, underscoring the vulnerability of low-lying coastal communities.

Emergency authorities continue to evaluate casualties and damage as thousands of displaced residents await assistance while rescue teams search through collapsed structures across the region. - June 8, 2026

See video here: https://www.facebook.com/reel/3703483029808466

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)