World

Iran announces closure of Strait of Hormuz to all vessels amid renewed US attacks

US Central Command (CENTCOM) earlier announced that American forces had launched additional “self-defence” strikes against multiple targets in Iran

Updated 2 months ago · Published on 11 Jun 2026 9:04AM

Iran announces closure of Strait of Hormuz to all vessels amid renewed US attacks
Iran warned that “any movement” through the strait would be targeted. - June 11, 2026

IRAN’S military headquarters announced early Thursday the complete closure of the Strait of Hormuz to all vessels amid escalating tensions and hostilities in the region, Anadolu Ajansi (AA) reported.

In a statement carried by Iranian state TV, the Khatam al-Anbiya headquarters said the strategic waterway had been closed to all traffic, including oil tankers and commercial ships, due to what it described as insecurity in the region.

It warned that “any movement” through the strait would be targeted.

The statement said the decision came following what it described as continued “American aggression” and recent US attacks on areas in Iran’s southern Hormozgan province. Khatam al-Anbiya also rejected US claims regarding the continued passage of ships through the strait.

The developments came after Iranian media reported explosions, air defence activity, and airstrikes across parts of southern Iran, including Bandar Abbas, Minab, Jask, Qeshm, and Sirik.

US Central Command (CENTCOM) earlier announced that American forces had launched additional “self-defence” strikes against multiple targets in Iran. – June 11, 2026

Related News

Malaysia / 13h

Prolonged Strait of Hormuz disruption will be felt, but less severe - Johari

World / 22h

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

Malaysia / 1d

MACC probe into Dr Xavier Jayakumar closed in 2024 over lack of evidence

World / 1d

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

Opinion / 1w

Wikipedia has become compromised by intelligence agencies and ideological capture

Opinion / 2w

Is the South China Sea moving from a ‘zone of peace’ towards the next conflict area?

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline