World

Hormuz shipping to resume, US-Iran peace deal set to fully reopen global oil chokepoint

Donald Trump announces that the world's most critical oil transit route is expected to be fully reopened by Friday under a landmark peace agreement between Washington and Tehran

Updated 2 months ago · Published on 17 Jun 2026 7:36AM

Hormuz shipping to resume, US-Iran peace deal set to fully reopen global oil chokepoint
Commercial shipping returns to the Strait of Hormuz after months of disruption (Photo from AFP) - June 17, 2026

COMMERCIAL vessels have resumed transiting the Strait of Hormuz, signalling the beginning of a recovery for one of the world's most strategically important maritime trade routes, after the United States and Iran reached a peace agreement aimed at ending months of conflict that disrupted global energy supplies.

US President Donald Trump said oil tankers and cargo ships had already begun sailing through the vital waterway, adding that the Strait of Hormuz is expected to be fully reopened by Friday under the terms of the agreement brokered with Pakistan acting as mediator.

"The captains of ships have already started moving. Many are carrying oil out of the Strait of Hormuz," AFP cited Trump saying, adding that he did not expect significant intervention would be required to keep the route open.

The reopening marks a major step towards restoring confidence in global energy markets after months of military confrontation triggered maritime restrictions, disrupted shipping traffic and fuelled sharp increases in international oil prices.

Iranian media reported that at least three oil tankers and two cargo vessels had successfully passed through the strait, which had previously been subject to strict restrictions and US naval enforcement operations.

The strategic waterway became a focal point of escalating tensions after Washington and Tehran imposed competing maritime restrictions following the outbreak of conflict in February, causing severe disruption to global oil flows.

The peace agreement between the United States and Iran, facilitated by Pakistan, is expected to be formally signed in Switzerland on Friday. However, senior White House officials said the document has already been electronically signed by Trump, Vice-President JD Vance and Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf.

Trump said he wanted the agreement to be published as soon as possible because it represented "a very important document" for global stability.

Meanwhile, Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi described the agreement as marking the end of the conflict while paving the way for a further two months of negotiations to finalise a comprehensive settlement.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi adopted a more cautious tone, stressing that Tehran remained wary after previous agreements had failed to be fully honoured.

Iran also insisted that the United States must ensure Israel halts its military operations in Lebanon as part of its obligations under the agreement.

However, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu maintained that Israeli forces would remain in Lebanon, Syria and Gaza "for as long as necessary", raising fresh questions over the full implementation of the peace accord and the broader prospects for regional stability.

Lebanese President Joseph Aoun welcomed the agreement, describing it as a positive step towards reducing tensions across the Middle East, although reports of continuing attacks in southern Lebanon underscored the fragile security situation.

Financial markets reacted immediately to the announcement, with global oil prices falling by nearly five per cent while major stock markets rallied on expectations that energy supplies would normalise as shipping resumes through the Strait of Hormuz, which carries approximately one-fifth of the world's traded oil.

The agreement also launches a new 60-day negotiating phase between Washington and Tehran to finalise a comprehensive framework, including unresolved issues surrounding Iran's nuclear programme.

Analysts said the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz would significantly reduce the risk of further global economic disruption, particularly by stabilising international energy supply chains and easing pressure on worldwide shipping and logistics costs. - June 17, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington