World

Hamas to dissolve Gaza governing body in sign of potential transition amid ceasefire talks

A Palestinian technocratic committee may assume civilian responsibilities, in what observers describe as a significant but uncertain shift in post-war governance arrangements

Updated 1 month ago · Published on 06 Jul 2026 5:52PM

Hamas to dissolve Gaza governing body in sign of potential transition amid ceasefire talks
Hamas has announced plans to dissolve the administrative body that has governed the Gaza Strip since 2007 - July 6, 2026

HAMAS is preparing to dissolve the governing body that has administered the Gaza Strip for nearly two decades, according to officials from the group, in a move that could reshape the enclave’s post-war political structure.

AFP reported that the decision, which Hamas officials said would transfer civilian administrative responsibilities to a Palestinian technocratic committee, represents one of the most significant governance signals from the movement since it seized control of Gaza in 2007 following its split with Fatah.

“The movement has decided to dissolve the Gaza government committee and to appoint a nationally accepted figure to oversee the committee’s work until the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza (NCAG) formally assumes its responsibilities,” a Hamas official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

The NCAG is expected to take over civilian governance functions, although it has yet to physically deploy into Gaza amid ongoing political and security constraints.

A second Hamas official said the decision had already been communicated to other Palestinian factions during talks held in Cairo, where mediators have been attempting to narrow gaps on Gaza’s post-ceasefire governance framework.

“The factions welcomed Hamas’ decision, describing it as a serious step towards enabling the National Committee to take up its governing role,” the official said.

The reported restructuring comes in the wake of a ceasefire agreement reached in October 2025 between Hamas and Israel, under which Hamas has repeatedly signalled its willingness to relinquish day-to-day administrative control of Gaza.

However, major political obstacles remain unresolved, particularly over the question of disarmament and the long-term security architecture of the territory.

The ceasefire’s first phase saw the exchange of hostages and prisoners between Hamas and Israel, but negotiations over the second phase — which was expected to include Hamas’ disarmament and a gradual Israeli withdrawal — have stalled for months.

Instead, Israeli forces have reportedly expanded their presence in parts of Gaza, while controlling significant portions of the territory.

At the same time, Hamas has insisted that any transfer of authority must be accompanied by the establishment of a functioning Palestinian administration, before it considers relinquishing its military capabilities.

The proposed NCAG, chaired by Palestinian official Ali Shaath and established under a broader international framework known as the Board of Peace, was set up following mediation efforts linked to the ceasefire agreement brokered in 2025. However, its deployment to Gaza has been delayed amid reported objections from Israel.

The governance question remains one of the central unresolved issues in ongoing negotiations, with Israel rejecting any return of Hamas to political power while also resisting an immediate full transfer of authority to the Ramallah-based Palestinian Authority.

The latest announcement underscores both the fluidity and fragility of Gaza’s political transition, as competing demands over security, legitimacy and reconstruction continue to shape post-war arrangements. -  July 6, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates