World

US and Iran agree to halt Gulf hostilities as Hormuz talks resume amid fragile truce

Negotiations raises hope of preserving a fragile interim peace agreement after days of escalating missile strikes, military retaliation and mounting regional tensions once again

Updated 1 month ago · Published on 29 Jun 2026 8:41AM

US and Iran agree to halt Gulf hostilities as Hormuz talks resume amid fragile truce
The United States and Iran have agreed to suspend hostilities in the Gulf and resume negotiations in Qatar on Tuesday over the Strait of Hormuz - June 29, 2026

THE United States and Iran have agreed to halt recent military hostilities in the Gulf and restart negotiations over the Strait of Hormuz, offering a renewed diplomatic opening after days of escalating conflict threatened to derail an interim peace agreement.

A United States official said both sides had agreed to stand down while technical negotiations continue under a 14-point memorandum of understanding signed on June 17, which was designed to restore freedom of navigation through the strategically vital waterway.

"Technical talks are slated to continue on all areas of the MOU. Both sides will stand down for now and vessels can move freely," Reuters reported the official saying on Monday.

According to Axios, citing a senior United States official, negotiations are expected to resume in Qatar on Tuesday.

The diplomatic breakthrough follows several days of military exchanges after an Iranian projectile struck a cargo vessel in the Strait of Hormuz on Thursday, prompting both Washington and Tehran to accuse each other of violating the interim ceasefire.

Earlier on Sunday, Iran launched missiles and drones targeting United States military installations in Bahrain and Kuwait after President Donald Trump warned that Washington could escalate military action if Tehran failed to honour the agreement.

"There may come a point when we are no longer able to be reasonable, and will be forced to militarily complete the job that we very successfully started," Trump wrote on social media.

"If that happens, the Islamic Republic of Iran will no longer exist!"

The latest agreement aims to preserve the June 17 peace framework, which sought to end fighting that began on February 28 while reopening one of the world's most critical energy shipping routes and allowing negotiations over Iran's nuclear programme to continue.

Although mediated talks involving United States Vice President JD Vance and Iranian parliamentary speaker Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf were held in Switzerland last week, accompanied by limited United States sanctions relief, hostilities resumed shortly afterwards.

Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps said its naval and aerospace forces had launched missile and drone attacks against United States military facilities in Kuwait and Bahrain, arguing that recent American strikes had violated the ceasefire.

The Guards warned that the attacks "will result in the complete halt of all diplomatic processes", while its naval command declared that American military bases in the region "will experience hell in the coming days".

A United States official confirmed that Iranian attacks had targeted American facilities but said there were no reported United States casualties or significant damage, although the situation remained fluid.

Bahrain later reported that an Iranian drone damaged a residential building in Muharraq province without causing casualties, prompting the kingdom to call for an emergency meeting of the United Nations Security Council to hold Iran accountable.

Kuwait's military said it had intercepted two ballistic missiles, with no casualties or damage reported.

Separately, Qatar confirmed that one of its nationals had died after suffering injuries from shrapnel aboard a vessel involved in military operations in the region. A second person was injured.

Meanwhile, regional tensions remained elevated after Israel announced fresh strikes against Iran-backed Hezbollah positions in southern Lebanon, targeting underground infrastructure used by the group.

The renewed attacks came only days after Israel reached a separate ceasefire arrangement with Lebanon, while Iran has maintained that stability in Lebanon remains essential to sustaining the broader regional agreement. - June 29, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation