World

Iran pushes for Strait of Hormuz control as price of ending five-month war

The claim will mark a significant shift in the balance of power across one of the world's most strategically important energy corridors

Updated 2 weeks ago · Published on 06 Aug 2026 7:58AM

Iran pushes for Strait of Hormuz control as price of ending five-month war
Iran seeks authority over vessels entering the Gulf through the Strait of Hormuz under a proposed agreement with Oman aimed at ending its five-month conflict with the US - August 6, 2026

IRAN is pressing for control over ships entering the Gulf through the Strait of Hormuz as part of negotiations with Oman to reopen the vital waterway and end the five-month war with the United States, according to a senior Iranian source and two regional officials familiar with the talks.

The proposal would represent one of Tehran's biggest diplomatic gains since hostilities erupted in February, granting it a role over maritime traffic through a chokepoint that carries a significant share of the world's oil and gas exports. Before the conflict, commercial vessels transited the strait freely without charges.

Reuters reported on Thursday that the United States has not publicly commented on the reported proposal. Although President Donald Trump has said an agreement to reopen the strait is close, Washington has consistently maintained that it would not accept Iranian control over access to the waterway.

Iran and Oman have been engaged in talks over the management of the Strait of Hormuz, which is divided between Iranian and Omani territorial waters. Tehran has reported "significant progress" in the negotiations, with Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi saying the proposed arrangement envisages commercial vessels passing through Iranian territorial waters on both inbound and outbound journeys.

"The arrangement was designed in such a way that commercial ships will pass through Iranian territorial waters, both on the inbound and outbound legs."

He added that discussions had "reached fundamental understandings" and that, "This progress is on the verge of being finalised."

However, regional officials cautioned that several critical issues remain unresolved and pushed back against suggestions that a final agreement is imminent.

One regional source said negotiators were still debating how Iranian "control" would be defined, with Gulf states insisting that inspections should be supervised by regional countries and that any transit fees remain voluntary.

According to the senior Iranian source, Tehran is seeking transit fees of between five and seven per cent of the value of cargoes carried by ships using the strait, while Oman has proposed fees of around three per cent. Washington is said to oppose the imposition of any fees.

Iran has also warned Gulf neighbours that any renewed United States military strikes would trigger retaliation against critical energy infrastructure across the region.

"The Iranian warning was unequivocal: if America targeted Iran's infrastructure, they would retaliate by striking Gulf energy facilities and other regional targets," one Gulf source said.

Tehran has continued to launch missile and drone attacks against United States allies in the region while also targeting commercial shipping transiting the strait without its approval.

Speaking at a rally in Las Vegas, President Trump reiterated that he preferred a negotiated settlement.

"I'd rather make a deal because I don't want to kill people. I do not want to kill people, but at some point we're gonna," he said.

Iran says more than 3,400 people have been killed since the conflict with the United States and Israel began on Feb 28, while the United States has reported 18 military fatalities.

The latest diplomatic efforts come as President Trump faces growing domestic pressure to end the conflict ahead of November's midterm elections. Reuters has previously reported that prolonged military operations have depleted key United States precision missile stockpiles, while global crude oil prices have fallen following Trump's decision to halt further strikes in favour of diplomacy. - August 6, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington