World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl

18-year-old teen arrested on suspicion of murder and attempted murder

Updated 1 hour ago · Published on 23 Aug 2026 12:39PM

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl
A 17-year-old girl was killed and three others injured in a sword attack at a secondary school in central Sweden - August 23, 2026

A 17-YEAR-OLD girl was killed in a sword attack at a secondary school in central Sweden, police confirmed, as investigators continued to probe the motive behind the assault.

The BBC reported on Sunday that two boys, aged 12 and 17, were seriously injured in the attack at Brinell School in Fagersta on Friday afternoon, while a third person suffered minor injuries, according to local authorities.

An 18-year-old man, whose identity has not been released, was arrested and police are treating the case as murder and attempted murder.

Swedish Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson and opposition leader Magdalena Andersson visited the school on Saturday morning, where members of the public had left flowers in tribute to the victims.

The attack occurred shortly after students returned to school following the summer holidays.

Police said officers fired shots after being called to the scene, although they did not disclose whether the suspect was struck before he was detained.

Swedish public broadcaster SVT reported that the suspect was wearing a helmet, while local media reported that he was a former student at the school.

The region was placed under a state of emergency on Friday following the attack, but the emergency was lifted on Saturday.

Police said investigators had already conducted two searches of properties linked to the suspect as part of the investigation.

Brinell School has just under 500 students, according to SVT, and is located about 170km (105 miles) north-west of Stockholm.

Kristersson described the incident on Friday as a "serious incident", saying: "we do not know what lies behind the act, but we know that police are working very intensively".

Sweden's King Carl XVI Gustaf said he received news of the attack "with dismay and sadness". - August 23, 2026

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

Canada to hit US goods with dollar-for-dollar tariffs after trade talks collapse

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Foreign tourist injured in bear attack in Japan

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations