World

Quebec premier orders Canada’s first pandemic curfew

Measures aimed at curbing private gatherings, which have been banned since October

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 07 Jan 2021 8:30AM

Quebec premier orders Canada’s first pandemic curfew
The lockdown in Quebec, Montreal that comes into effect on Saturday will be at a scale that has not been seen in Canada since the Spanish flu a century ago, according to historians. – Instagram pic, January 7, 2021

MONTREAL – Quebec premier Francois Legault ordered the first pandemic curfew in Canada yesterday as part of new lockdown measures to slow the spread of a second wave of Covid-19.

The lockdown and 8pm to 5am (0100 to 1000 GMT) curfew will take effect starting Saturday in the province and last four weeks, Legault told a news conference.

“We’ve asked police to enforce these measures,” he said, adding that those breaking the rules would face fines of up to Can$6,000 (RM19,000).

A curfew of this scale has not been ordered in Canada since the Spanish flu a century ago, according to historians. 

The more than eight million residents of Quebec, the province hit hardest by the pandemic, will be affected by the measures aimed in particular at curbing private parties and other gatherings in people’s homes, which have been prohibited since October.

Under the lockdown all schools, stores, gyms and cinemas will also be required to close and office workers will be asked to telework, if possible. Schools could reopen sooner than the rest. 

In doing so, the province joins Ontario – Canada’s economic engine with a population of 14 million – in restricting people’s movements and daily routines. 

Ontario’s month-long lockdown started on December 26, but its biggest city Toronto was shut down in November.

Quebec – and other regions – had been ordered locked down for nearly two months at the start of the outbreak in the spring.

Less severe restrictions in recent months, including a partial lockdown since Christmas, however, failed to contain a sudden spike in Covid-19 cases.

Quebec yesterday reported 2,641 new infections and 47 deaths due to the coronavirus. 

Nationwide, 7,524 new cases brought the total to date to 624,000, including 16,000 deaths. – AFP, January 7, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Culture / 6mth

Penang-born 91-year-old pianist shows he still has what it takes

Malaysia / 9mth

ASEAN Summit: New Japan, Thailand PMs Among Leaders Arriving Today

Opinion / 10mth

A tale of two administrations: How Warisan and GRS shaped Sabah’s future

People / 10mth

Malaysia ranked 22nd friendliest country in 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran