World

Bird flu: France plans mass duck slaughter

350,000 culled since Dec, after very pathogenic virus hits foie gras industry

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 08 Jan 2021 8:30AM

Bird flu: France plans mass duck slaughter
The highly pathogenic H5N8 virus has been spreading through duck farms in France, with the first case detected in a bird in a pet shop in Corsica late last year. – Pixabay pic, January 8, 2021

PARIS – French producers of foie gras called yesterday for a mass preventive cull of ducks to try to halt the spread of a severe strain of bird flu that is ripping through poultry farms in the southwest of the country.

The highly pathogenic H5N8 virus was first detected in a bird in a pet shop on the Mediterranean island of Corsica in November, before spreading to duck farms on the mainland in December.

Several European countries have reported cases of infection, five years after a major outbreak prompted the slaughter of millions of ducks in France.

“The virus is stronger than us. New clusters are constantly emerging,” the head of CIFOQ federation of foie gras producers, Marie-Pierre Pe, said.

The Agriculture Ministry yesterday said the number of outbreaks has now risen to 124, adding that around 350,000 ducks had been slaughtered since December 24.

Earlier this week, the government’s chief veterinary officer, Loic Evain, said over 200,000 ducks had already been slaughtered, and that a further 400,000 birds were set to be culled, out of around 35 million reared each year.

He described the virus, which is not harmful to humans, as “very, very contagious”.

Officials in Belgium yesterday said they had culled three contaminated poultry flocks – one in Menin, in the west of the country, another in Dinant in the south and a third in Dixmude in western Flanders.

Belgium’s federal food safety agency AFSCA, which has ordered poultry owners to lock up their animals to avoid contamination, said that 20 cases of the virus had been found in wild birds.

Herve Dupouy, a French producer who heads the local poultry section of the FNSEA farmers’ federation in the Landes department, a bastion of the foie gras industry, said “the situation is out of control”.

He called on the state to cull all poultry flocks in the area and impose a two-month production freeze, adding that “there’s no other solution”.

So far, authorities have been culling all ducks and geese within a 3km radius of an infected flock. Free-range chickens and turkeys within that range have also been slaughtered.

CIFOQ said yesterday that government officials had shared plans to expand the culls over a wider area.

The bird flu clusters have been detected on poultry farms and in pet shops in the Landes department, and the neighbouring Gers and Pyrenees-Atlantique departments.

Chinese market in jeopardy

The head of France’s chamber of agriculture, Sebastien Windsor, called on Wednesday for “radical measures” to try to restore confidence in export markets, such as China, which announced this week it was suspending French poultry imports over the virus.

Producers of foie gras, a pate made from the livers of force-fed ducks or geese, fear a repeat of the devastation wrought by two previous waves of bird flu in the winters of 2015/2016 and 2016/2017.

Over 25 million ducks were culled in the first outbreak, followed by 4.5 million the following year, causing a steep decline in foie gras production.

Besides France and Belgium, the Netherlands, Sweden, Britain and Ireland have also reported bird flu outbreaks since the winter began.

Dutch authorities culled some 190,000 chickens in November over the discovery of the virus at two farms. – AFP, January 8, 2021

Related News

Business / 3mth

Airbus A220 deal will cost US$19 billion - Fernandes

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

China ends French team's dream run to retain the Thomas Cup

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

Thomas Cup: France inch closer to historic triumph, faces reigning champions China in final

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

Thomas Cup: France on fire, outclass Japan to reach maiden semis

Malaysia / 10mth

Government to reassess local white rice supply policies, strategies

Malaysia / 1y

Sabah village: Water bills arrive, but still no sign of treated water

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war