World

EU to purchase additional 300 mil doses of Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine

The vaccine doses now contracted by the European Union is enough to cover 80% of its population

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 08 Jan 2021 9:30PM

EU to purchase additional 300 mil doses of Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine
The European Union has extended its contract for the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, and will now purchase an additional 300 million doses to cover 80% of its population. – File pic, January 8, 2021

BRUSSELS – The European Commission has renewed a contract with pharmaceutical companies Pfizer and BioNTech to purchase an additional 300 million doses of their vaccine against the coronavirus disease, President Ursula von der Leyen said today, Sputnik news agency reported.

“As you know, we have right now access to 300 million doses of the BioNTech-Pfizer vaccine. Now the good news is, we now have agreed with BioNTech-Pfizer to extend this contract.

“With the new agreement, we could purchase a total of up to an additional 300 million doses of the BioNTech-Pfizer vaccine,” von der Leyen said at a briefing.

She added that 75 million of those new vaccines would be available in the second quarter of the year, with the rest arriving in the third and fourth quarters.

Von der Leyen said the amount of coronavirus vaccine doses contracted by the European Union so far is enough to cover 380 million people, or 80% of the population.

Promising that more vaccines will come “in the following months”, the commission chief said “We have to vaccinate as many Europeans as possible and as quickly as possible.”

There are two coronavirus vaccines currently with authorisation for use in the European Union – one produced by Moderna and the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine. – Bernama, January 8, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 3mth

Tourism industry needs to shift to EVs systemically – MATTA

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Opinion / 10mth

A tale of two administrations: How Warisan and GRS shaped Sabah’s future

Malaysia / 1y

Sabah woman unvaccinated during Covid-19 sues authorities for loss of income, emotional distress

Malaysia / 1y

MOH closely monitoring Covid-19 amid rising cases in neighbouring countries

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month