World

HK lifts first neighbourhood lockdown after mass testing

7,000 residents in poor, dense apartment area screened, only 13 cases found

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 25 Jan 2021 2:20PM

HK lifts first neighbourhood lockdown after mass testing
Several Hong Kong opinion leaders are critical of how the Hong Kong government handled a Covid-19 outbreak in a low-income neighbourhood – by imposing a localised lockdowns and employing mass testing – but officials are defending the move due to its efficacy. – AFP pic, January 25, 2021

HONG KONG – Hong Kong lifted its first neighbourhood coronavirus lockdown on Monday morning after testing some 7,000 people and finding 13 cases as debate swirled over the efficacy of the move.

Over the weekend, police moved in to seal off a poor and densely populated neighbourhood of about 150 apartment blocks where coronavirus clusters had sprung up in recent weeks.

Officials went door to door conducting mandatory tests and found 0.17% of those tested had the virus.

Some community and business leaders were critical of how the lockdown was carried out. 

But officials defended the move as proportionate and said they would not rule out similar neighbourhood lockdowns.

“We do not consider this operation a waste of manpower and money,” Health Minister Sophia Chan told reporters yesterday.

Hong Kong was one of the first places to be struck by the coronavirus after it spilled out of central China.

It has recorded just over 10,000 infections with some 170 deaths by imposing effective but economically punishing social distancing measures for much of the last year.

In recent weeks, stubborn clusters have emerged in low-income neighbourhoods notorious for some of the world’s most cramped housing.

David Hui, an infectious disease expert advising the government, defended localised lockdowns. But he urged authorities to move more swiftly to stop members of the public leaving ahead of any new order.

“The most worrying part is whether the virus might spread outwards as some residents left when they heard the lockdown was coming,” Hui told reporters.

News of the weekend’s lockdown leaked to local media on Friday morning and residents were seen leaving the area before police arrived late that evening.

The neighbourhood has a large South Asian population – a community that often faces discrimination and poverty – and there was criticism over how the operation was handled, including pork products in food parcels for Muslim families.

Last week a senior health official sparked anger when he suggested ethnic minority residents might be spreading the virus more readily because “they like to share food, smoke, drink alcohol and chat together”.

Critics countered that poverty and a lack of affordable housing forcing people to live in cramped conditions were to blame – not race or culture.

Food delivery companies have also reported some users have begun requesting no South Asians make deliveries, sparking anger from the city’s equality watchdog. – AFP, January 25, 2021

Related News

Events / 6d

Over 700 students from over 20 countries gather in Hong Kong summit

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Events / 8mth

Penang International Dragon Boat participants remember their fallen brothers in Hong Kong

Malaysia / 8mth

'Rest easy, Wai Ho' - Malaysian firefighters pay tribute to their fallen comrade

Trending / 8mth

'My superhero': Girlfriend mourns death of boyfriend firefighter in Hong Kong blaze

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt