World

95% of Covid-19 patients in Rwanda treated at home

Community health workers monitor those infected, ensure they adhere to quarantine measures

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 26 Jan 2021 3:30PM

95% of Covid-19 patients in Rwanda treated at home
Home quarantine is how Rwanda is dealing with its latest surge in Covid-19 cases, with virus-positive patients being monitored by community health workers. – AFP pic, January 26, 2021

KIGALI – A majority of people diagnosed with Covid-19 in Rwanda are being treated under home-based care, the Health Ministry said yesterday as the country battles the latest surge in cases, Anadolu Agency reported.

According to ministry guidelines, Covid-19 patients treated at home are advised to isolate themselves and avoid any contact with the people they live with.

“Out of more than 4,000 active Covid-19 cases in the country, 95% are receiving treatment at their homes. Only a few are admitted in different hospitals and other treatment centres,” said Health Minister Daniel Ngamije.

Those under home-based care are monitored daily with the help of community health workers to ensure they receive treatment and do not violate quarantine measures, he said.

The patients are also given a toll-free line to call in case of emergency.

Japhet Gakuba, a resident of the capital Kigali who recovered from coronavirus at home, said receiving care without necessarily being away from home reduces stress that comes with the coronavirus-positive status.

Meanwhile, Ngamije said Rwanda has the capacity to admit 500 patients under intensive care.

Besides the coronavirus treatment centres, hospitals across the country keep at least 10 intensive care unit beds ready to handle Covid-19 emergencies, he explained.

The government last Saturday launched mass tests for the elderly and high-risk groups in Kigali, where 220 people were diagnosed with the coronavirus out of 4,500 tested on the first day.

The mass tests, which ran through yesterday, targeted more than 20,000 people across Kigali.

Julien Niyingabira, a ministry representative, told Anadolu Agency that free rapid tests help health authorities determine the prevalence of the virus in the city.

The Rwandan cabinet last week imposed another 15-day lockdown on the capital due to a surge in cases.

As of Sunday, the east African country’s confirmed cases reached 12,975, with 4,381 active cases and 174 deaths.

The government recently inaugurated a new Covid-19 treatment centre in Kigali, which has significantly improved case management, offering the highest standard of oxygen therapy.

Many coronavirus patients in Kigali and surrounding areas are admitted to the new facility, with a capacity to admit about 140 patients in its intensive care units. – Bernama, January 26, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Opinion / 10mth

A tale of two administrations: How Warisan and GRS shaped Sabah’s future

Malaysia / 1y

MOH closely monitoring Covid-19 amid rising cases in neighbouring countries

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

Culture & Lifestyle / 1y

Renowned public health expert honoured at award ceremony in Penang

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation