World

Quebec media demands healthcare facility access to show ravages of virus

News releases, daily death counts from authorities fail to convey severity of Covid-19 situation in province

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 27 Jan 2021 1:20PM

Quebec media demands healthcare facility access to show ravages of virus
In a bid to avoid risking the public minimising the severity of Covid-19, Quebec media outlets are demanding access to hospitals and care homes so the people can hear directly from frontliners and patients on the ‘harsh realities’ of the outbreaks. – Twitter pic, January 27, 2021

MONTREAL – A group of Canadian media outlets pushed authorities in Canada’s Quebec province yesterday to let them report from inside coronavirus-ravaged hospitals and care homes.

In an open letter to Quebec authorities, 19 French-language broadcasters and publications said access requests for facilities hit by the virus had mainly been rejected. 

News releases and daily death counts have failed to convey the severity of outbreaks at these facilities where thousands have died, the letter said, noting that “disturbing images” from Italy in March last year helped the world grasp the “magnitude of the developing health crisis”.

Quebec authorities risk allowing some people “to minimise the severity of Covid-19, to liken its symptoms to that of the common flu, or even to diminish the need to follow public-health directives”.

Canadians should hear directly from embattled doctors, nurses and struggling patients to get an accurate picture of the “harsh realities” of the outbreaks, the letter stated.

As of yesterday, Quebec province has recorded nearly half of the more than 19,000 Covid-19 deaths in Canada, and about one-third of the 750,000 cases.

Many victims – eight in 10 in the first wave of the pandemic – were living in care homes, which earlier this year called in the Canadian army to help look after seniors due to a chronic staff shortage, worsened by the pandemic.

Soldiers said they found horrific conditions. – AFP, January 27, 2021

Related News

Opinion / 1mth

Forget the judges. Book the studio

Events / 2mth

International media networks need to be strengthened to face global challenges

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Culture / 6mth

Penang-born 91-year-old pianist shows he still has what it takes

Malaysia / 9mth

ASEAN Summit: New Japan, Thailand PMs Among Leaders Arriving Today

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month