World

S’porean teen held over planned terrorist attacks on mosques

16-year-old youngest individual detained under ISA, has strong antipathy towards Islam

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 27 Jan 2021 8:02PM

S’porean teen held over planned terrorist attacks on mosques

SINGAPORE – A 16-year-old Singaporean teenager was detained in December last year under the republic’s Internal Security Act after he was found to have made detailed plans and preparations to conduct terrorist attacks on two mosques here.

According to an Internal Security Department statement today, the teenager, who is a Protestant Christian of Indian ethnicity, is the first detainee to be inspired by far-right extremist ideology. He had planned to attack Muslims using a machete.

It said as he was a secondary school student at the time, he is the youngest individual to date to be dealt with under the Act for terrorism-related activities.

It added that he was self-radicalised, motivated by a strong antipathy towards Islam and fascination for violence.

“He watched the live-streamed video of the terrorist attack on the two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, on March 15, 2019, and read the manifesto of the attacker, Brenton Tarrant.

“He also watched Islamic State (IS) propaganda videos, and came to the erroneous conclusion that IS represents Islam, and that Islam calls on its followers to kill non-believers.”

The department said it is clear from the attack plans and preparations that the youth was influenced by Tarrant’s actions and manifesto.

It said among others, he planned to carry out his attacks on March 15, the anniversary of the Christchurch attacks.

“He chose Assyafaah Mosque and Yusof Ishak Mosque as targets because they are near his house. He conducted online reconnaissance and research on both mosques to prepare for the attacks.”

According to the department, the detailed planning and preparations attested to the youth’s determination to follow through with the attack.

“He admitted during the investigation that he could only foresee two outcomes of his plans – that he is arrested before he is able to carry out the attacks, or executes the plans and is killed by police.”

The department said initial investigations indicate that the youth had acted alone.

“There is also no indication that he tried to influence anyone with his extreme outlook or involve others in his attack plans.

“His immediate family members and those in his social circles are not aware of his plans and the depths of his hatred of Islam.” – Bernama, January 27, 2021

Related News

World / 2d

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

Malaysia / 3d

S'pore driver involved in altercation with Malaysian policeman near Woodlands Checkpoint

Malaysia / 3w

Play chess, not checkers: Why Negeri Sembilan matters

Malaysia / 1mth

Singapore: Chief Justice Sundaresh Menon to retire in Feb 2027, succeeded by Justice Sushil Nair

Malaysia / 1mth

State policies have not benefitted Johoreans, forcing many to seek employment in Singapore, says Guan Eng

World / 2mth

Rat spotted scurrying around on Singapore East-West Line MRT train (video)

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren