World

N. Zealand confirms 2 more virus cases in community

Infections of an adult and child of the more virulent S. African Covid-19 strain

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 28 Jan 2021 7:40AM

N. Zealand confirms 2 more virus cases in community
New Zealand demands all overseas arrivals undergo two weeks' quarantine and test negative before entering the community. – Pixabay pic, January 28, 2021

WELLINGTON – New Zealand confirmed two new cases of the more virulent South African Covid-19 strain in the community today, as investigators scrambled to determine how the virus breached border controls.

Health officials said the pair, an adult and child, caught the virus in the same quarantine facility as a woman who tested positive over the weekend, ending a run of more than two months with no cases in the community.

They said the facility – the Pullman Hotel in Auckland – was allowing no quarantine arrivals or departures as teams examine how the infection spread.

"It does suggest that something's happened in the Pullman where these people have potentially come into contact with each other, that investigation will continue," Minister for Covid-19 Response Chris Hipkins told Newstalk ZB.

Hipkins said all close contacts linked to the three cases had so far tested negative and he was hopeful the outbreak had been contained.

"I'm fairly optimistic but you never know with these things," he said.

"The first 48 hours is in any of these investigations tells you a lot."

New Zealand demands all overseas arrivals undergo two weeks' quarantine and test negative before entering the community.

The new cases passed all the requirements but tested positive after leaving the managed isolation facility.

Coronavirus alert levels in New Zealand have not been raised as a result, with few restrictions meaning domestic life in the country of five million remains near normal.

However, the cases have prompted long queues at testing stations in Auckland, where a second-wave virus outbreak forced a two-week lockdown last August.

The South African coronavirus variant is more contagious than previous strains, although the World Health Organisation has said there is no clear evidence it leads to more severe disease or a higher death rate.

New Zealand has been widely praised for its handling of the pandemic, recording just 25 coronavirus deaths and less than 2,000 confirmed cases in a population of around five million. – AFP, January 28, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 3mth

Malaysian doctor couple saves passenger from allergic shock mid-flight

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Opinion / 10mth

A tale of two administrations: How Warisan and GRS shaped Sabah’s future

Malaysia / 1y

MOH closely monitoring Covid-19 amid rising cases in neighbouring countries

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation